Is anyone else tired of the "My pistol isn't accurate" threads?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a couple of pistols that I couldn't shoot well for whatever reason, but it never occurred to me to blame them. I just sold them and kept the ones I did shoot well.

I feel so much better now knowing that I could've blamed the gun...

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have purchased revolvers that the chambers were all different sizes and different brands brass shot different because the cases were all different lengths and thicknesses.

Then there is the constriction where the barrel is threaded into the frame.
Thank you Ruger and S&W.

I do agree 90% of the time it is the shooter.
I was at Lexington WMA range and I get to visiting with people there and let them shoot my stuff and I shoot their stuff.

2 guys there shooting semi auto pistols they just purchased.
Shooting clay targets they had set up all over.
One guy could not hit anything.

He had just shot my 308 and asked if I wanted to shoot his 9 pistol.
I shot it and the bullet went 2" above the clay.
Shot again and busted the clay. then hit another and there was a third clay about 25 yards out and his buddy was plinking away at it and I held on it and busted it.

The guy said You shoot my gun better than I do.
It was just us there and range went cold and we set up some clays.

I handed the guy his gun back and "I put 1 bullet into it" and told him you have 1 shot
make it count.

He held very still and aimed like his life counted on it and pulled the trigger and jerked/pushed the front of the pistol down about 4".
CLICK is all you heard.

Yea I did not really put a bullet into it I just pretended.

I told him that 9 MM will not hurt you so no need to flinch.
He had no idea he was flinching.
After knowing he hit a clay almost every time and thanked me for "tricking him".

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have purchased revolvers that the chambers were all different sizes and different brands brass shot different because the cases were all different lengths and thicknesses.

Then there is the constriction where the barrel is threaded into the frame.
Thank you Ruger and S&W.

I do agree 90% of the time it is the shooter.
I was at Lexington WMA range and I get to visiting with people there and let them shoot my stuff and I shoot their stuff.

2 guys there shooting semi auto pistols they just purchased.
Shooting clay targets they had set up all over.
One guy could not hit anything.

He had just shot my 308 and asked if I wanted to shoot his 9 pistol.
I shot it and the bullet went 2" above the clay.
Shot again and busted the clay. then hit another and there was a third clay about 25 yards out and his buddy was plinking away at it and I held on it and busted it.

The guy said You shoot my gun better than I do.
It was just us there and range went cold and we set up some clays.

I handed the guy his gun back and "I put 1 bullet into it" and told him you have 1 shot
make it count.

He held very still and aimed like his life counted on it and pulled the trigger and jerked/pushed the front of the pistol down about 4".
CLICK is all you heard.

Yea I did not really put a bullet into it I just pretended.

I told him that 9 MM will not hurt you so no need to flinch.
He had no idea he was flinching.
After knowing he hit a clay almost every time and thanked me for "tricking him".
feels good to occasionally help someone!

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My son was always a little off with his pistols, it took him buying a Ruger LCR 357 and shooting DA to figure out he was in a hurry when shooting the pistols . When he slowed down with that revo it helped him in all his platforms . Now he is picking up speed again with good accuracy.

Last edited:

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cannot TELL you guys HOW many times I got the "the sights on this gun are fooked up, I want my money back" when renting ANY gun at the store. I'd tell the guy I'd give him his rental fee AND buy back the box of ammo he had to buy to shoot it IF he would give me 5 shots at the same distance he was shooting at -- and 4 of my 5 shots had to bull's eye. 😁 I only had to give 3 guys their money back in the couple of years I worked there. One was the very first guy I made the deal with and I was nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof. 😂 After that I was over the being nervous ****. 😂😂

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can shoot a pistol fairly well. Enough that I don't need to boast on the internet, but to qualify my experience; I've shot multiple service pistol matches at the Division Matches and below level. I also held the secondary MOS of Primary Marksmanship Instructor/Combat Marksmanship Trainer for 17 of my 21 years in the Corps. I also have reloaded for decades.

I will absolutely go on record as stating that I have some revolvers and pistols that very much prefer specific bullet weights and velocity nodes. It is just like a rifle...only most people aren't good enough to tell much of a difference. If they walked up to the line and shot a 6" group at 25 yards they'd be happy...and probably never notice the difference between a load that could shoot 1.5" and another that was only good for 4" at that distance.

My most extreme example: I have an original 1994 Colt King Cobra Enhanced that will shotgun pattern 125gr bullets at moderate to heavy magnum load velocities...yet that same revolver will shoot to the best of my capabilities with 158gr bullets at 38SPL velocities. It isn't a crimp or jacket separation issue, that revolver just has a very specific preference (and not all do...just like rifle barrels).

Ever notice how most of the handgun rags always seem to have better accuracy with SD ammo than bulk stuff?

Now, I realize that this goes against the gist of the OP. I totally understand the difference of a bad group due to ammo, and a shooter who lacks skill and training...and then complains when perfection isn't achieved. I'm not arguing against that...I'm just stating that SOMETIMES, it isn't always the Indian. Sometimes we need to give people the benefit of the doubt before assuming they're an idiot who can't shoot.

^ Now I'll basically contradict myself that 95% of the time, it's usually the Indian :D.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A guy I know says he tries to hit far enough apart they have to use both hands to cover the wounds. I ask if the ones off the target is in case the attacker is moving around. Then he gets huffy and mad.

I hate that excuse, which really means "I'm shooting too fast to make an accurate follow-up shot."

Latest posts

Top Bottom