Is Being “In Shape” Important?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In general I agree with the concept that “those that use more should pay more” on most everything but there’s no way to fairly implement such a system for medical insurance. We are all different shapes and sizes with different builds and different genetics which plays a huge part. @USMC you’ve gone from discussing being in shape to fight to longevity here and there are just way to many variables involved. My great-grandfather lived to be almost 100, a Texas boy who ate everything fried and he chewed tobacco his entire life. My wife’s father died at 94 after having three heart attacks and two strokes. All his siblings died in their 50s as did his father but with proper diet and exercise he lived to a ripe old age. So by your logic obese and heavy people along with those having a genetic predisposition for something should be charged more for medical insurance because they’ll most likely be requiring more medical care yes? The flaw in this thinking is who’s going to decide what and who gets to control all this? Starting to sound a little “woke” to me just like some states have implemented the ridiculous policy of limiting the size of soft drinks in a lame attempt to control obesity. Do we really want the government to have even more control of our lives then they do now? I sure don’t!

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought that was about me.

Many years behind Home Plate, catching and then, umpire;
Racing dirt bikes and rodeo, haven't been friendly to my knees, ankles, hips, or back.
I had arthritis in my hands at 17, knees went bad my first winter working on F-111D fighter jets at Cannon AFB, NM, at age 19 and I stayed for 24 years... My dad was "fat" at 175lbs, shortly before he passed at age 77, but he was only 5'8" tall. Until the hip replacements, I was 5'11" tall. Since, I'm 5'10. Tomorrow, I get steroid injections in my lower spine so I can bend over and pick stuff up again for awhile without have to rest for 2 or 3 hours for ever 10 minutes I'm bent over. I believe I need to do that a couple more times before he can burn the nerves out again. That usually helps for about 6 months. Some lying bastard once told me that spinal nerves don't grow back or heal. WRONGO! Thing that really irks me is that I didn't do a lot of sports, rode only on the street while on wheels, or pastures/trails while horseback, and didn't do combat arms in the military. I was a tech of one sort or another when I wasn't flying a desk. Got about 200 hours flying in a Huey, but that was in Nevada going to crash and accident sites in the late 70's and early 80's, and we didn't ever have to jump out of anything but maybe a truck once in a while. OTH, I woke up alive again this morning, and one of my neighbors didn't, so I got no good reason to be whining. I've done some interesting stuff, and some important stuff in my life, and I'm supposed to have time to play a little bit, and here I am online wasting that time! ;) Story of my life, I guess. :goodmorning:

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People are what they want to be, we can make excuses to do or not to do anything.

For short time I tried to get people to alter their diets and get some exercise, I soon found that I was just annoying them and was wasting my time so I stopped.

For a while tried to get people to take self defense beyond the pew pew a little more seriously, I soon found I was just annoying them and was wasting my time so I stopped.

People are what they want to be, they are not my problem.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think there are many degree of shape? Genetics has a lot to do with too. Yeah, leave it to the insurance company to define obesity. When I was in the ARMY they had a height weight chart. I could never meet my weight. I always max my PT test and was able to out do most of the young soldier. Never fell out of those long nature walks carrying the M60 or the M90. That was many moons ago, is crazy how age catch up with you. LOL
I can't swear the military is using the same scales they were when I was in the USAF, 1973-1997, but in the early part, at least for women, they were using the scale the Barbizon Modeling College was using. Top Models | Modeling Program | Barbizon Modeling My ex was 5'9" tall, 170 lbs, 38-23-36. Was fit and looked pretty good. AF wanted her at 157 lbs max. She managed to get there, but was skin and bones.

I was 5'11", 205 or so. They wanted me at a max of 199 lbs. Did I mention that the ex and I wore the same size uniforms? I never could run all that well, and having the knees go out at 19 didn't help. USAF had a walking option for non-runners most of my time in, and I could walk three miles in under 40 minute, and do it all day long.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I can't swear the military is using the same scales they were when I was in the USAF, 1973-1997, but in the early part, at least for women, they were using the scale the Barbizon Modeling College was using. Top Models | Modeling Program | Barbizon Modeling My ex was 5'9" tall, 170 lbs, 38-23-36. Was fit and looked pretty good. AF wanted her at 157 lbs max. She managed to get there, but was skin and bones.

I was 5'11", 205 or so. They wanted me at a max of 199 lbs. Did I mention that the ex and I wore the same size uniforms? I never could run all that well, and having the knees go out at 19 didn't help. USAF had a walking option for non-runners most of my time in, and I could walk three miles in under 40 minute, and do it all day long.
The Air Force had requirements? Who knew😂 just kidding, my dad was career Air Force and was thrilled beyond measure when I joined the Marine Corps. OKCPD used to have height/weight ratio requirements too but affirmative action changed that.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Instead of fretting about being in shape, in California at least, we would now have an "even better" option: Human Composting, so we should be making sure we eat all the proper nutrients so that we could eventually be the tree that we have always wanted to be.

Where's the Round-Up?? I need a drink! A BIG one!!! 😤😤

😂😂😂😂😂

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I hope you never end up in the shape I'm in, is all I can say.

I have seen you in action. I'd KILL to be in the shape you are in. You need to stay out from under those trees, though. 😉 Those bastards will come outta nowhere and then BOOM ... You're just happy you can GET TO the recliner most days. 🤷

Last edited:

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1664381702833.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom