Is Being “In Shape” Important?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We’ll, it is the first rule!

D5359CCD-C017-4E5E-B252-F377D515C148.jpeg

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any fat guys reading this thread? Didn’t think so. They avoid stuff like this like broccoli and baked chicken
Hey now Mr Snarky. I’m just under 5’9” and weigh 195lbs. Not exactly the strongest example of a physical specimen. I would agree as a general rule the better physical condition a person is in the better they will handle physical confrontations. I will say this pudgy middle aged white boy can still hike 10+ miles and do cartwheels. My grandfather was a double amputee having lost both legs in a train accident when he was 12. He also fought Golden Gloves and I would have hated to have been the loudmouth punk that tried to start trouble with him even in his late 70’s. Physical conditioning is certainly important but being most fights last seconds I think it’s arrogant to think it’s the only variable that matters. Now excuse me while I go gnaw on some broccoli and skinless chicken.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's all about fuel! You don't run around in your car or truck with just 4-10% gas/diesel reserve do you? Well I just choose to have more fuel for the upcoming famine. Because after that 4% body fat is gone, that lean body starts eating itself and the holocaust look starts taking effect. To each their own though and I'll keep enjoying my meals like they're my last (cause it might be true) and not force myself to eat chicken leather and bland low carb veggies.
* throws on mylar suit and helmet* OK I'm ready now!🤣🤣🤣

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wrong GunFluffer! I am reading it and no matter how hard I try I can not lose weight and keep it off.
😳
FWIW I lost 60 pounds over a year ago and still drop a pound or two every month. Daughter is a dietitian and after a visit to the doc, found my testosterone was in the tank and between getting a shot every two weeks and her suggestions of just changing two things badabing badabang.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're an LEO, I'd say it's important because you don't know who you're going to have to chase, or fight, or how fast you're going to have to move to get out of someone's line of fire, and those things could happen at any time, and probably will eventually.

For the average person... your odds of dieing from a heart attack or stroke because you're overweight are infinitely higher than your odds of being shot, let alone being shot BECAUSE you are overweight. I would say that as far as priorities go, being able to defend yourself is relatively low on the list of reasons to stay fit.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey now Mr Snarky. I’m just under 5’9” and weigh 195lbs. Not exactly the strongest example of a physical specimen. I would agree as a general rule the better physical condition a person is in the better they will handle physical confrontations. I will say this pudgy middle aged white boy can still hike 10+ miles and do cartwheels. My grandfather was a double amputee having lost both legs in a train accident when he was 12. He also fought Golden Gloves and I would have hated to have been the loudmouth punk that tried to start trouble with him even in his late 70’s. Physical conditioning is certainly important but being most fights last seconds I think it’s arrogant to think it’s the only variable that matters. Now excuse me while I go gnaw on some broccoli and skinless chicken.
You
Are right. Being fat doesn’t mean not
In shape. I stand corrected

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It amazes me that OKCPD and others have no physical fitness requirement once an officer graduates from the academy. I am a big supporter of law enforcement but there are a LOT of cops who need to drop some pounds and get into better shape. Same thing with Fire department.
I don’t know if it’s a requirement or peer pressure, but firemen around here seem to be pretty fit.
😳
FWIW I lost 60 pounds over a year ago and still drop a pound or two every month. Daughter is a dietitian and after a visit to the doc, found my testosterone was in the tank and between getting a shot every two weeks and her suggestions of just changing two things badabing badabang.
I’m 5’9” and weighed 195 three years ago, but I made up my mind I needed to lose weight and did. I got down to 165 for a while, but I’ve kind of stabilized at 170. I’d really like to get down to 150, but my wife doesn’t want me to get that low and says I’ll look sickly.
It’s hard for me to believe now, but when I got married 33 years ago, I weighed 135.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
You
Are right. Being fat doesn’t mean not
In shape. I stand corrected
And neither does being skinny. Most people equate being fat with being out of shape and vice versa. Everyone has a different body shape. Some choose to stay relatively in shape and some choose not to. Some have valid reasons or ailments why they can’t. The question is it as important for self defense reasons as training in shooting/self defense?

Latest posts

Top Bottom