Is Being “In Shape” Important?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I made a comment regarding this on another post. I see a lot of firearms and self defense trainers who are fat out of shape guys. How important do you consider being in relatively good shape to your ability to defend yourself? Some spend a lot of money on training and equipment but couldn’t run 50 yards without having a serious time catching their breath.
My brother is my height and weighs 360 pounds. He had his 3rd heart attack this week so this is weighing heavy on my mind. He eats like a horse and drinks like a fish with no intention of changing his habits.
I was thinking about most of the trainers I know. They are obese but excellent shots and knowledgeable about self defense. Does being in shape matter?

Last edited:

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
extremely important.

people don't think so, but ask how many people during the summer of love (not the hippie one) or even muh insurrection of jan 6 how tired they got or if they wish they did a little more training before even like....attending a protest.

in fact, go ahead and look up the average bmi of the people who died during all those events. kyle probably got the thinnest ones.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. Way too many "conservative right wing gun owners" seem to think they'll be sitting on their porch with a lemonade and picking off Antifa goons.

Also, being overweight and relying on a CPAP every night because of obstructive sleep apnea means you really have no chances of surviving the collapse of civilization.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made a comment regarding this on another post. I see a lot of firearms and self defense trainers who are fat out of shape guys. How important do you consider being in relatively good shape to your ability to defend yourself? Some spend a lot of money on training and equipment but couldn’t run 50 yards without having a serious time catching their breath.
My brother is my height and weighs 360 pounds. He had his 3rd heart attack this week so this is weighing heavy on my mind. He eats like a horse and drinks like a fish with no intention of changing his habits.
I was thinking about most of the trainers I know. They are obese but excellent shots and knowledgeable about self defense. Does being in shape matter?
I think staying in at least decent shape is extremely important as part of a self defense program. I don’t think a person needs to be a health nut though.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I can't climb up into a tree without a lader or drag a deer across the woods by hand I would be very sad.
I am a little sad currently because I used to be able to run and jump into a tree and pull myself up easily with 1 arm.
Must use two arms now.
Even using two arms, you’re still my hero. :thumb:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you get into a foot pursuit in the summer (at 6000' elevation) over 6 or 7 blocks, wearing 35 lbs of gear, you'll find out how important it is. When you fight a guy who just stabbed you in the face, on the side of the road, for 8 mins, before you can even call for help, you'll find out how important it is. Ask me how I know...

Age and injuries have taken their toll. I'll admit it...I loved to fight when I was cop. I loved it. One of my favorite things to hear when I was working the street was, "I don't think you can arrest me..." Well...there's one way to find out, skippy! :)

These days the spirit is still willing but the body knows better.

It's very important.

Latest posts

Top Bottom