Is Being “In Shape” Important?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't care how good of a shape you are you will never out run a 180 gr bullet traveling 2650FPS.
That's right. As soon as some burning and looting comes to my neighborhood, I'm gonna bust heads with muh Remingchester 7070 and never have to git outta muh Lazyboy.

Fitness is overrated.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
That's right. As soon as some burning and looting comes to my neighborhood, I'm gonna bust heads with muh Remingchester 7070 and never have to git outta muh Lazyboy.

Fitness is overrated.
😂 they will be using dental records to identify your charred remains. I hope you get as many as you can before your heart explodes in your chest. You could probably get a few more if you didn’t run out of breath when you get up to go take a leak but best of luck to you. Shouldn’t be long the way things are going in America. The good news is most of the enemy is fat and out of shape too. Probably come down to a fight for the last French fry.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember back in my youth, every time I got in trouble I was either heading toward, inside, or leaving a bar.
Simple solution, quit going to the bar.
I don't remember who came up with the "three stupids" rule of avoiding trouble (don't go stupid places, do stupid things or hang out with stupid people).
But I seem to remember he also came up with a similar rule for bars.
He wrote that a review of news stories about assaults (back when the media actually had informative news reports) showed that a lot of people who got their butts kicked were on their way to, inside of, or on their way out of a drinking establishment at the time.

As far as being in shape I think it's important that when the building catches fire, you are faster heading for the exit than the crowd of people huddled around the box of doughnuts in the break room.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
😂 they will be using dental records to identify your charred remains. I hope you get as many as you can before your heart explodes in your chest. You could probably get a few more if you didn’t run out of breath when you get up to go take a leak but best of luck to you. Shouldn’t be long the way things are going in America. The good news is most of the enemy is fat and out of shape too. Probably come down to a fight for the last French fry.

Pffft. Lots of us hefty guys live long, happy, healthy lives. Some folks really buy the BS about BMI and health, you should have figured out by now it's a scam sold by doctors and fitness companies.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Pffft. Lots of us hefty guys live long, happy, healthy lives. Some folks really buy the BS about BMI and health, you should have figured out by now it's a scam sold by doctors and fitness companies.
Maybe so but not my brother who sits in the hospital as we speak after having his 3rd heart attack Saturday. Born from the same mother and raised the same way with similar height, weight, and habits thru our young adult years. I joined the Marine Corps and he joined the Army. He got an early general discharge after 2 years because he wouldn’t stop drinking and feeding his face. I did my 4 and got out. I’m no specimen of perfect health or conditioning but my heart is strong and I can walk a couple of miles without falling on my face. Enjoy your recliner and I hope you live a long life. Obesity causes more health problems in this country than any other. I think insurance companies should charge more for people who are obese. At least some do offer incentives for living a healthy lifestyle. Sorry for the rant, it’s hitting close to home for a brother I love and watching him eat/drink himself to death. You do you.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BMI gets used for all kinds of erroneous measures. It was never and will never be a metric for health or fitness. Body fat % and even more importantly visceral fat certainly is. Merely taking someones weight in relation to their height gives absolutely no metrics on their physical fitness or health. It does make for a decent ballpark single number to share in triage so dosages can be guesstimated on the fly.

I have slipped about 15# this year (stepped into high gear when I almost had to let my belt out a notch), but I feel best walking around 185-190# at 5'7". For me, that lands me around 15-17% body fat but still shows as obese on a BMI scale. The guys that I have worked with who did semi-professional fitness competitions would all look morbidly obese on a BMI scale while have less than 10% body fat.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think there are many degree of shape? Genetics has a lot to do with too. Yeah, leave it to the insurance company to define obesity. When I was in the ARMY they had a height weight chart. I could never meet my weight. I always max my PT test and was able to out do most of the young soldier. Never fell out of those long nature walks carrying the M60 or the M90. That was many moons ago, is crazy how age catch up with you. LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom