Is Being “In Shape” Important?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So is it more important to be in shape or be able to fire a 180gr bullet
Both are equally important. What I think is important is to do a self evaluation and prepare your self accordingly. Some people will never be able to get in good shape because of medical or physical conditions.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Instead of fretting about being in shape, in California at least, we would now have an "even better" option: Human Composting, so we should be making sure we eat all the proper nutrients so that we could eventually be the tree that we have always wanted to be.

I used to want my family to grow tomatoes over me.

I have now decided I'd prefer my ashes buried under some imported West Tejas caliche and cactus.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Boy, we’ve drifted all over the place with this thread. One would expect hurt feelings and folks getting defensive when discussing weight and physical fitness but geesh. I have about 20 pounds left to lose to hit “MY” idea of where I want to be which is 175lbs, I think I was 258lbs when I started. Believe OPs question was “Is Being “In Shape” Important?” Anyone with half a brain would answer that question with a YES. I know this is a generalized question which usually prompts some who like to argue to try and point the rare exceptions to the statement for which they’ll certainly be some but come on! For those of us portly fellows to sit there and argue that we wouldn’t be happier and more prepared to defend ourselves if we’d lose 50-100lbs you’re not being honest. Again there will be goofballs that will want to argue but if you’re carrying the equivalent of an extra person around your belly and you we’re to wake up the tomorrow morning having all that gone I can’t believe you wouldn’t think “this is great”. If you want to be fat then own it and say “I know it would be better to lose a bunch of weight but I don’t care and I’d rather not put in the effort to get there.” And that’s okay. “Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die”. But don’t sit there and make ridiculous claims that your joints will last longer, or you’ll be bullet resistant or that you can’t out run a 185 grain bullet. C’mon man, quit being silly.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
That's the most hateful thing I've seen on here. My genetics have a lot to do with my weight, there's not much I can do about that.
If that’s true I apologize. Many people use that as an excuse to do nothing. I think insurance companies should evaluate a persons health before accepting them and charge a rate applicable to the probable risks they incur by insuring that person. Why should a healthy person who takes care of themselves pay the same rate a person who does not pays. They do it for life insurance now.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If that’s true I apologize. Many people use that as an excuse to do nothing. I think insurance companies should evaluate a persons health before accepting them and charge a rate applicable to the probable risks they incur by insuring that person. Why should a healthy person who takes care of themselves pay the same rate a person who does not pays. They do it for life insurance now.
We all pay for uninsured and underinsured patients now. Who do you think pays for the translator at the hospital? Who pays for the medical expenses of the illegal who gives birth at your local hospital?

We do. All the responsible bill- paying, insurance- carrying patients do.

And you want to drive my costs up, simply because I'm so fat I need special hygienic tools to keep my self (mostly) clean?

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Boy, we’ve drifted all over the place with this thread. One would expect hurt feelings and folks getting defensive when discussing weight and physical fitness but geesh. I have about 20 pounds left to lose to hit “MY” idea of where I want to be which is 175lbs, I think I was 258lbs when I started. Believe OPs question was “Is Being “In Shape” Important?” Anyone with half a brain would answer that question with a YES. I know this is a generalized question which usually prompts some who like to argue to try and point the rare exceptions to the statement for which they’ll certainly be some but come on! For those of us portly fellows to sit there and argue that we wouldn’t be happier and more prepared to defend ourselves if we’d lose 50-100lbs you’re not being honest. Again there will be goofballs that will want to argue but if you’re carrying the equivalent of an extra person around your belly and you we’re to wake up the tomorrow morning having all that gone I can’t believe you wouldn’t think “this is great”. If you want to be fat then own it and say “I know it would be better to lose a bunch of weight but I don’t care and I’d rather not put in the effort to get there.” And that’s okay. “Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die”. But don’t sit there and make ridiculous claims that your joints will last longer, or you’ll be bullet resistant or that you can’t out run a 185 grain bullet. C’mon man, quit being silly.
Yep. I wasn't talking about being a cage fighter or Olympian. I was talking about being in reasonably decent shape to defend yourself and loved ones if needed. Many people buy lots of self defense equipment and take classes but would be totally exhausted after a 15 second altercation. Many firearms trainers appear to be in poor shape as well. While they are experts with a firearm and very knowledgeable about self defense I wonder if they could last very long in an altercation that didn’t warrant the use of a knife or gun. Some good conversations and some got offended. Who knows, maybe it inspired someone to take a look and consider their situation. Mods can lock it up as far as I’m concerned. I think most agree it’s as important as carrying a gun. A few dissenters but I think we know why.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
We all pay for uninsured and underinsured patients now. Who do you think pays for the translator at the hospital? Who pays for the medical expenses of the illegal who gives birth at your local hospital?

We do. All the responsible bill- paying, insurance- carrying patients do.

And you want to drive my costs up, simply because I'm so fat I need special hygienic tools to keep my self (mostly) clean?
I don’t think we should pay for everyone and I think your rate should be higher if you are in poor health and choose to do nothing except set in that recliner and make excuses. Sorry but not sorry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom