Is Being “In Shape” Important?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow this thread has been colorful. Originally we were talking about physical fitness in relation to self defense. So on that note… yes it’s SUPER important!

I did martial arts a lot in my youth and 20s. People don’t understand how much a fight takes out of ya. It’s way different than just doing cardio.

I recently had an incident out here in a rural/farm area where 3 stray pitbulls came running in out of nowhere and attacked a family pet. I went after them with a shovel I was using at the time and basically “fought” these dogs for what was only a few minutes… I was absolutely winded, heart racing, literally had sit down and recover when things settled down.

When you combine stress and adrenaline with explosive physical activity that came by surprise, you’ll be surprised how out of shape you are.

Admittedly I need to loose 20-30lb… time to get my fata**’in shape again. This thread is inspiring me. Time to lay off the beer and midnight snacks lmao
I guess I'm screwed. I don't drink beer. And it's more like 60lbs for me. I suppose I could do something like not be on the computer all the time, but this is about all I got for social life!

Gotta say, I like the idea of being on the porch with the -06...

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I eat that too. I avoid hunger and exercise.
B1BCB5BB-3141-4A3D-AA59-1A7BDF12390A.png

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What? You mean a person who claims to be huge and so bad off medically they can’t leave the recliner is hiding truth behind the anonymity of the internet? I’m shocked.
I'm not so anonymous, lots of folks here have met me and know I'm not fat, but I am an *******.

In all seriousness, and to answer the OP - I started out teaching rifle marksmanship in Appleseed about 13 years ago. My hope was to make more effective riflemen out of my fellow Americans.

I was disappointed by all the fat guys - most of them my age - that would be taking Ibuprofen on the second day from the strenuous activity of getting up and down into the prone position. Good grief. These are the guys that will defend their community?

A guy told me about the Pecos Run N Gun in 2010, a biathlon where you hump your gear 7 miles, addressing different shooting stages along the way. You have to carry everything you need - water, ammo, pistol, rifle. It was a true test of man and gear.

I involved my Appleseed buddies and me a great friend started Oklahoma Run N Gun. I'm proud to say I've seen many folks make huge improvements to their health and effectiveness over the years. Even though I'm no longer managing the enterprise, OKRNG spread the RNG virus faster than a wildfire.

So - again in all seriousness - find a run n gun, bring your gear, see how effective you really are. My bet is you'll find something that needs improving, I know I always do!

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t think we should pay for everyone and I think your rate should be higher if you are in poor health and choose to do nothing except set in that recliner and make excuses. Sorry but not sorry.
All you guys who say this seem to think those of us not skinny and buff had total control of the whole process. I assure you it's not always so. From age 19 to 57 I had knees bad enough I couldn't run. I could and did walk a lot. Got down under 200lbs, working loading industrial laundry machines by hand, and walking a lot. A few years after that my back went to hell on me at L5-S1. Now it's in and out. Bad knees came back about a year ago, too. Walking and standing hurt bad now much of the time. Got Steroid injections in the knees in March so couldn't get them in the back for a while. Just got the back done again this morning. Three months until I can do it again. Right now I'm sitting down because I've been working for about 3 hours. We'll see how long it lasts. I don't like what narcotics do to my brain, so take enough NSAID's to keep the pain down to a full roar. Usually that's 10-15 minutes, then 2-3 hours of sitting waiting for things to unkink. I'm at 263 as of yesterday. Been getting my wife to eat, and eating what she couldn't has brought me up 10Lbs from what I was a month or so ago. I've taken to cutting the frozen dinners in half for her so there are no leftovers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom