Is buying a gun as a gift a "straw purchase"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As long as the person can legally own the gun, and pass the 4473 you can buy the gun and give it to him or her. Straight from the ATF agent I talked to.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you say that you are buying the gun for yourself when you intend to give it as a gift (even to a legal recipient), then you would be lying.

Technically, if you are buying the gun with the intent to give it to someone doesn't the recipient have to fill out a 4473?

No, because you are, in fact, the purchaser.

It would be a straw purchase if you were buying it with money from the person receiving the "gift".

And, the recipient of the gift does not have to be a family member etc, you can legally give your neighbor (or anyone else who can legally own it) the gift of a firearm. You can't gift a firearm to a resident of another state as that would constitute an illegal transfer unless you sent it to a dealer in the recipient's state of residence and the dealer did the transfer paperwork.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would be a straw purchase if you were buying it with money from the person receiving the "gift".

Clearly.

And, the recipient of the gift does not have to be a family member etc, you can legally give your neighbor (or anyone else who can legally own it) the gift of a firearm.

This is the part I'm not sure about... And someone here with an FFL doesn't think you can gift a firearm to a non family member.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Clearly.

This is the part I'm not sure about... And someone here with an FFL doesn't think you can gift a firearm to a non family member.
As a former FFL as of last November I'd like to humbly disagree. I think the term is Bone-A-Fide Gift ( or something like that ) and it covers anyone whom could legally own a firearm may be bought a firearm as a gift. Now, keep in mind that some states interpret this differently.

Latest posts

Top Bottom