Is carrying openly more advantageous to the 2A cause than carrying concealed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And if it was your "opinion" that the earth was flat, it does not change the fact that the earth is not flat.
"Fact" is that criminals don't target open carriers, they tend to go the other way when one is around.

You might be a little confused my friend. Stating the earth Is flat would be stating fact. Stating a personal feeling is opinion. Like in your link... The only fact there within is the data/percentages stated of those polled. A small group can't accurately feed fact for masses. example: "Of these (number) of people polled, it's is fact that (certain percentage) of (these people) favor (statistic)." Just like the fact is the number/percentage, but the statement is opinion (based on criminal opinions. But maybe for another thread, as we've hijacked this one enough.

freeranger

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It is said that education is the key to understanding. I can think of no lesson more important to a child than one who observes a honest citizen openly carrying and contradicting the "bad man with a gun" stereotype. Many older gun owners grew up watching westerns, where the bad guy was dispatched by honest, armed citizens. Today, television and movies lean heavily towards extolling law enforcement with little mention of the average, law abiding gun owner defending him/herself and family from the bad guys (unfortunately the bad guys these days are "greedy capitalists" gone wild as opposed to the petty criminal, gangbanger). I'm of the opinion that today's shows and movies tend to suggest that only law enforcement is capable of dealing with criminals. Police have a place in society, unfortunately they simply can't be everywhere at once to run interference for society as a whole. Those who choose to OC are the new tool of gun ownership education in Oklahoma. Many children have never had exposure to firearms except those carried by police. In time hopefully this soft education will have an impact on their thought process and they'll realize that guns and gun owners are not evil as depicted by the current entertainment industry. And that instead of relying on others to protect themselves, they'll take responsibility to protect themselves once they reach adulthood. We may never convince their parents, but tomorrow we may have convinced the children of today.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An old friend of mine contacted my yesterday to ask for advice. He's never owned nor even fired a gun in his life, but has twice had his home invaded. The last time, he was at home. He thought a handgun license was required to own a gun in his home. He only knew to come to me for information because of open carry. He's meeting me at the range after work today to learn gun safety and to fire a few of my guns to get an idea what he wants. Because of open carry, I'm bringing another who was on the fence into the fold.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
An old friend of mine contacted my yesterday to ask for advice. He's never owned nor even fired a gun in his life, but has twice had his home invaded. The last time, he was at home. He thought a handgun license was required to own a gun in his home. He only knew to come to me for information because of open carry. He's meeting me at the range after work today to learn gun safety and to fire a few of my guns to get an idea what he wants. Because of open carry, I'm bringing another who was on the fence into the fold.

FAN-FREAKING-TABULOUS!!!!!!

This is truly heartening. I am excited for you to open the mind of someone new to our community and teach them safety, responsible gun ownership and use, and introduce them to a great pastime all at once!

Way to go!

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My father-in-law is now thinking about getting his carry license because of all the publicity about OC. He will never OC and probably not CC, other than having it in his car, but the publicity helped him make his decision. Now I need a recommendation for a good class in Claremore.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My father-in-law is now thinking about getting his carry license because of all the publicity about OC. He will never OC and probably not CC, other than having it in his car, but the publicity helped him make his decision. Now I need a recommendation for a good class in Claremore.

I have found the same thing true with a number of people I know.
Open Carry has brought legal carrying into the forefront of the news for awhile, and has been really good advertisement.

Does my heart good to drive by pawn shops and gun stores and see "Open Carry Holsters Sold Here."

Latest posts

Top Bottom