Is it any better?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since they opened I've been able to replenish most of my bench stock,,,
By that I mean I bought up a lot of .22 after the first shortage,,,
So I've been able to shoot steadily (but frugally) all this time.

My stocks were starting to dwindle from the levels I wanted to maintain,,,
Wally-World and local stores were no help at all.

Academy however has had a fairly steady stream of ammo,,,
And the best part is the prices have been good.

Before the crisis I was paying $6.50 for Mini Mags at Wally-World,,,
Yesterday and today I bought Mini Mags at Academy for $7.45 per hundred,,,
With tax it came to $40.75 so divide that by 500 and it is 8.15 cents per cartridge.

I know that's a price increase but 95 cents over three-four years isn't excessive,,,
At least it's not so much to make me stop shooting Mini Mags.

They have also had a fairly steady stream of American Eagle HV in 36 grain HP,,,
So far this ammo seems to run my Mossberg 702 just fine,,,
This weekend I'll find out how it does in my pistols.

That ammo ran $23.83 after tax for 400 rounds,,,
That makes it 5.96 cents per cartridge.

Again, it's not the 3.89 cents per cartridge of the old Wally-World Federal Bulk Pack,,,
But it sure beats the heck out of the scalpers wanting 15 cents per cartridge.

So while it's not ideal as yet,,,
I'm at least pleased I can go shooting,,,
And not have to ration myself to 50 rounds at a time.

Aarond

P.S. As of 8:37 this morning the Academy at Stillwater still had 9 of the 500 packs of Mini Mags at $7.45 per 100 cartridges,,,
They also had a big stack of CCI Standard Velocity bricks for (IIRC) 3.45 (plus tax) per box of 50,,,
As well as a big stack of that American Eagle for $23.83 (after tax) for 400 rounds.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's pretty much the same here in OKC area. Haven't seen any .22 at a Wally World but the one time here a few months back since the drought began, but can usually pick up a bit at Academy. But, yeah, it's better than it was. I do miss being able to pick up a few 550 packs of the bulk Federal stuff at Wally pretty much anytime you were there though.

I've found bulk Winchester super x at Edmond academy several times but that stuff is garbage. Unless you're shooting revolver or like clearing malfunctions I'd stay away. 29 bucks too...

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't understand the shortage here. Every time I go back home to Georgia I find .22lr all over the place, and always make sure I pick several 550 packs an other's like stingers an such. Yet once you get west of Alabama it just seems to dry up.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw some CCI 300rd packs one time at Walmart for about $20. Another time, I got 3 of the last 4 bulk packs of Rem. Golden Bullets for about $28, the guy behind me got the last one. I prefer Federal bulk but I can't find it anywhere. This was over a 2yr. period.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still haven't seen anything at a big box store outside of 50-round boxes at Academy (only) in over 3 years. I don't check EVERY time I go in, but every time I think of it... the clerks just laugh when I ask them now.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Recent gun show in Durant had .22 out the rear; LR, Long, Short, Magnum. Average price was around $40-45 per 500+ rd box for LR and $20+ for 50 rd Magnum. If you were patient, there were a few better prices. Prices may have gone down Sunday in the afternoon,

Latest posts

Top Bottom