Is it legal to own a full auto trigger group for an AR 15 /M-16?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
but the gun can sometimes be made to fire full auto without the sear using ALL of the other M16 parts and soft primer ammo. If it fires more than once, you have a machinegun. .

Exactly. Competitors and others fiddle with the triggers so much trying to make them light, not only on AR's but 1911's etc that they can go full auto.

They are instantly DQ'd in a match.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the only difference is a hook on the hammer and a slot at the back of the trigger. tens of thousands of these were sold in fcg kits during the 70's-80's.
they were cheaper and the ATF wasn't so uppity. there is no difference in their operation than the semi-auto trigger and hammer. you also have to remember the ATF changes its mind constantly and it wasn't that long ago you couldn't have a m16 bolt carrier in your gun.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the only difference is a hook on the hammer and a slot at the back of the trigger. tens of thousands of these were sold in fcg kits during the 70's-80's.
they were cheaper and the ATF wasn't so uppity. there is no difference in their operation than the semi-auto trigger and hammer. you also have to remember the ATF changes its mind constantly and it wasn't that long ago you couldn't have a m16 bolt carrier in your gun.

The disconnector and selector are also different.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

And the one part that the M16 has that the AR15 doesn't have is the auto sear.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v389_CAR_AR_M16_IMG_2223.jpg

Last edited:

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How does this work nighthawk? Are they pre-86? Or just replacement parts for existing? I never realized you could still buy these even with a stamp.

Fog

Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape

CAR-AR-M16 Knows his stuff, read what he posts.

I am a FFL 07 SOT, which means that I can sell regular weapons like other FFL's, and I can build semi auto weapon, and Full Auto weapons, and sell them.

I sell the M16 lower parts kits for $80. each

These are the rules, not according to me, in my own words, these are the last time I checked.

You can own a M16 parts kit as long as you do not own an AR15 or the parts to make one.

To make a full auto weapon after 1986 is illegal by anyone except a 07 SOT, or a Mil. armorer, we make samples, and or sell to DoD, & LE departments when we win contracts, or other SOT's as a sample with a law letter.

To build a M16 with today's lowers is more than just putting a parts kit in a lower, it has to be machined.

If you build one without being a SOT, plan to spend a few years in the Federal Hilton, and a fine (I think) of $250,000. The ATF has no sense of humor, everything is cut and dry, you either are or are not committing a crime.

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to come by the shop and ask them, or come by and see the Full auto M16's I have manufactured. Or ask CAR-AR-M16, as I said befor he knows his stuff.

Mark

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a particularly historic case where the ATF raided a mans house because they had reason to believe he had a full auto sear. They ended up killing the guy because IIRC he had been into his gun safe to retrieve a gun for cleaning or whatever. So when they busted in there he was holding a gun so they shot him. His safe door was open and they dragged all his safe contents out onto the floor and found no auto sear. Cant remember the guys name or the town this happened in.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ATF has never had a sense of humor -- back in the mid 50's dad was going colo school of trades for gumsmithing and a customer came in with a 22 semi rifle that the sear was worm down to the point it would double or thrip fire -they being young and full of P&V stoned the sear down ,took the gun to local dump and ran maybe 50 rounds in it went back to school fixed the gun and in 30 minutes the ATF show up needing know about the machine gun they had been shooting -after they told the story the ATF said ""DO NOT DO THAT NEVER AGAIN OR YOU WILL GO TO KANSAS !!"""

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well that pretty much answers all of my questions. I was not intending to buy a full auto parts kit. Now I am 100% sure that I don't even want one in the house. It just seems like it's more trouble than it would actually be worth. And I wouldn't have any use for it anyhow. Thanks men.

Latest posts

Top Bottom