Is it really worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was surfing the threads here on OSA one day...just like any other day, when I saw this picture...

adsdd.com_guns_870.jpg

Thanks Mad Professor! ;)

My heart did a flip! :heart::heart:

I thought this was one of the sexiest weapons I have ever seen in my entire life. I was so smitten by this little scattergun, that I immediately started cooking up a plan on how I could own one. :w000t:

For that last few days, I've made some phone calls and done some checking. This lil' guy is gonna set me back about $1,000. :bigeye: Trying to make a living on a cop's small salary is not an easy task. After the bills are all paid, there's not much "fun" money left. Obtaining one of these little fellers would require me to sell probably three guns, just to be able to fund this weapon along with it's required stamp from the ATF. :grumble:

The 12 Gauge shotgun has long been my very favorite weapon of choice. I consider it the most versatile weapon in exsistence. With the proper loads, you can hunt everything from quail to elephants. It's an easy weapon to teach to a novice and when doing so, you get an immediate positive response from the person shooting it, because they almost always hit their target, giving them the utmost confidence in their shooting ability, making it an ideal HD weapon.

My question to those who have an SBS. Is it really worth A THOUSAND DOLLARS (+/-) and the loss of three other well regarded weapons just to own one of these short barreled beauties? I plan on using this one for patrol duties as well as home defense. I figure the shorter 14" tube would be ideal for dragging in and out of a patrol car and checking around corners for things that go "bump" in the night.

Whatcha think? You think the benfits of owning an SBS outweigh the PITA of all the federal red tape?

Your thoughts, comments and ideas please! :D

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GED you could by one of the very nice 870s that are on here for sale and then take it to a dealer (MAS Gunworks or Major Malfunction) class III dealer and have then have the barrel cut down to what you desire. They will probably hold on to the receiver while you wait for your stamp to come back. I would be surprised if you couldnt get into a nice SBS for around $600. You can always add on the extra goodies later on after having it shortened.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A thousand dollars? How about breaking that down. I just don't see that much in that one.

Well, at Wilson Combat, it sells for $1350. That's complete...minus the $200 tax stamp.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/s_professional.asp

Or...

I called my ol' buddy Bill Santos over at B&M Firearms in Shawnee.

He can get me the base gun from Remington for $590. Add to that about $200 for the Surefire...another $90 for the Speedfeed stock...another $50 for the +1 extension and spring...and about another $40 for the side-saddle and you get...

$970 roughly...not counting taxes, shipping, labor...:blahblah:...so I figured about a grand +/-.

Plus another $200 for the stamp. :grumble:

gnnr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it worth a $1000.00 bucks? Well, that depends on your perspective. I've seen the pictured weapon run and it did so with no malfunctions and was very impressive. If my life was on the line this is the one I would like to have in my hands. A solid grand is a lot of money, no doubt. But it is most likely a once in a life time expense. If the need is there - go for it brother - it won't seem like much further down the line.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it worth a $1000.00 bucks? Well, that depends on your perspective. I've seen the pictured weapon run and it did so with no malfunctions and was very impressive. If my life was on the line this is the one I would like to have in my hands. A solid grand is a lot of money, no doubt. But it is most likely a once in a life time expense. If the need is there - go for it brother - it won't seem like much further down the line.

Well...I wouldn't really call it a "need" so much, but I am getting tired of lugging around my heavy ol' Mossberg 590. It weighs a ton!

WetWork

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would this be the type of thing a Cop could deduct on his or her taxes? I'm asking, as I really have no idea. My sister inlaw is a teacher, and she writes off all sorts of crap she purchases for her class.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is one gorgeous shotgun! But my first thought was:

"How many rounds are you docked for that short of a mag tube?"

Wilson lists a capacity of 5+1 rounds. Hmm, that's two less than I could carry with a 18" barrel... Is it worth the $500+ premium over a regular 870 with all those accountrements? To me - no. But boy, is it lovely-looking :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom