Is it worth getting into reloading still?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cost is always a consideration, usually the most important consideration.

However, when you can't get any ammo at all, it's beyond scarce, it's consoling that you can still have ammo to shoot.

That's priceless. Then the cost just really doesn't matter much.

It can mean the difference between life and death, food or starving, saving you and your families lives.

Maybe it's just me, but that's how I see it.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a press for over a decade. Did not like it at first. On shelf and not touched. I now have several and find it nice to do something detail oriented that requires some concentration. I do NOT like the tediacy of trimming brass. You will get out what you put in. I make hunting rounds and practice rounds. Bulk on progressive, 20 to 200 on a single stage. I found some of the less expensive products worked better for me but not in most cases. Try to use or observe someone else’s equipment. Learn. Do not be scared of buying used equipment. Heck out used dies very carefully. Half of mine were ancient and still good. When a die is bad everything else goes wrong in my experience.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reloading for economics - well that depends on what you shoot, where you shoot, and what your trying to accomplish.

If you shoot an SKS in the creek bottom at bottles floating down the stream, and half the brass is tossed in the water, it may be cheaper to buy it in bulk and store it during a favorable political climate.

If you want to shoot 1000 rounds a week at the local indoor range with a 45, good chance the savings will add up and give a reasonable return on the investment (assuming you don't value your time highly and by a nice progressive press)

If you shoot scarce or obsolete stuff available from a few boutique suppliers (40/82, 577/450), then it makes good economic sense, but the start up cost is higher (molds, lead pot, custom dies, etc.)

If your trying to shoot tiny groups and edge every last bit of performance and consistency from you favorite toy, its not about economics.

If you decide to do it, you need a dedicated space to do it. (climate controlled is better).

Presses require a fair amount of force and need to be solidly mounted to something stout that wont tip over or rock when you stroke the press.
Powders burn vigorously and ignite easily, so you don't do this next to the bench grinder or welder.
You are also handling lead, which requires a few hygiene considerations. This is not a kitchen table activity.

Your reloading space should be free from distractions.
Double charge a shell or put in the wrong powder, and you may have a net loss in the form of a damaged gun, and shooter.

You need a place to store the powder and primers that will prevent unintended access.

The space should have a smooth floor you can sweep.
You will spill powder and primers eventually and you don't want to run them through your wife's new vacuum cleaner.
It powder does not agree with the electric arcs from the motor brushes and the primers will damage the plastic impeller on the fan.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It powder does not agree with the electric arcs from the motor brushes and the primers will damage the plastic impeller on the fan.
Not a vacuum expert, but Kirby is the only brand we've had where things ran through the impeller before the dust bag.

We also have a cheap Eureka, and it pulls vacuum through the disposal bag. But I'm not sure whether small amounts of gunpowder dust in the air would be an issue or not...
:drunk2:
___

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been vacuuming up powder for a long time.
I even stuck some IMR 3031 into one of these.
1639509605435.png

Created a lot of sparks trying to get the powder to light but never lit the powder.
I read small sparks will set off smokless powder.
I had to test for myself.
I will lay money it will set off some old fashioned black powder though.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So just how much is enough? Ammo? Reloading components?
If all you do is zero the sights once a year, and shoot 1 deer a year, just buy the ammo. 1000 rounds will last you a lifetime. If you shoot every week, and go through 500-1000 rounds a week, you need a high-end progressive press or two. I've mostly managed with a single stage turret press. I think it's been over a year since I last went shooting. In the 80's I was doing a couple hundred rounds nearly every weekend, at a minimum. Same press. Lyman Spar-T. I'd get a fairly simple press regardless, in case you just want to play, but that's just me.

I have a couple of projects I need a hydraulic press for. Bought a HF 20-ton press the other day. Mostly to make stuff to play with for reloading gear and fixing my machine tools. It would allow swaging softer metals for fancier bullets...

Maybe some day. My reach doesn't seem to go as far as I'd like...

Latest posts

Top Bottom