is it worth to renew your concealed carry with all the new laws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I seldom ever feel the overwhelming need to carry, the wife and I have once again renewed our permits for another 10 years. As many of you know, she and I do a lot of traveling.

With another thought in mind, keep in mind that I don't think the "permitless carry" bill amended the Constitution of Oklahoma, so what would prevent a future legislature to reversing the "permitless carry" law? At least with the current licensing to carry, a future legislature might permitless but allow those with permits to be grandfathered in.

Simply put, I don't trust government, and I can't be assured enough that pro-2A groups can really keep us safe.

corneileous

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure there's also an increased credibility during traffic stops. :thumb:

There may be but why? I got pulled over couple months ago for a DOT inspection and I didn’t wait for the cop to ask me if I had one one me, I told him right away. I still have my permit but since a permit’s no longer required, I never even showed him mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With constitutional now in effect is it worth the hassle and money to renew your Concealed carry?

I’ll probably keep mine active when it expires. I’m not totally 100% sure on what all changed, meaning what all permit holders can do, that non-permit holders can’t do but at least for remaining being able to carry in a restaurant that sells big-boy drinks and for the sake of “legal” out-of-state carry to those states we have reciprocity with who still want us to have a valid license, I figure it best to just keep my permit.

I don’t like it, I really wish I could take advantage of the new law but I shoulda known there’d be strings attached.

It even though I don’t travel a whole lot, I’m still down here in the Texoma region and we travel to the Sherman-Denison area all the time for shopping so, it’s in my best interest to stay within Texas’s permit laws.

corneileous

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have a permit, but only travel to Kansas where it's not required and very, very rarely eat out.

If you’re traveling to another permitless state, you won’t need a permit from your home state. And who knows, I don’t know if they’ve fully re-outlined our reciprocity agreements or not with the other states but it is possible for one or more of those permit states to honor our permitless rights. I mean afterall, before our new legislation went into effect, even though we made our own residents have a permit to carry a gun here, all the other permitless/constitutional carry states were free to carry in Oklahoma without a permit.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Devils advocate here...
All the reasons mentioned here are points that the OK2A and others are working to get changed. If we keep feeding the machine, the machine doesn't die. Or dies slower. You all gladly quit shopping at anti 2A businesses but gladly pay the anti 2A government supporting their Anti 2A activity.
Instead of spending that money there, maybe use it to support the OK2A for $50 or $100 a year AND get involved like I do.
I;ve seen alot of change and being involved has been the key. Power in numbers.
I plan to continue to carry and keep it concealed, in other states.
I got my permit in 94 when the law passed but prior to that I carried anyway so big deal.
I know I'll catch some flaming for that but I dont have to read it lol
Rather to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Since you appear to never leave Oklahoma and intend to carry a weapon in states that Do require a CC license to legally carry, I can understand your position.
Those of us that travel across this US in states that DO require a CC license and have reprocity with the Ok CC license will continue to renew.
It’s a personal choice.

corneileous

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It lets the officer know you've cleared a background check and are most likely one of the good guys. I'd gladly show mine for this reason alone.
:drunk2:

Yeah but if he or she’s really concerned about whether or not you have an undisclosed gun, they won’t hesitate to ask and at that point, you’re required to tell them yay or nay.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah but if he or she’s really concerned about whether or not you have an undisclosed gun, they won’t hesitate to ask and at that point, you’re required to tell them yay or nay.
The difference is actually seeing the permit as opposed to wondering whether you're telling the truth. Criminals will often say anything during a traffic stop.

Personally, I'd rather deal with a calm officer than a nervous one.

Your call. :drunk2:

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been stopped once while carrying......headed north on McArthur early one chilly Sat. morning at dark thirty just past the river bridge doing about 10 over the limit.

Saw lights come on in the rear view mirror and I knew I was justifiably had.....rolled down the window and put both hands on the wheel in plain sight and waited for her to get to me.

Right, wrong or indifferent it was my habit to put my wallet and carry gun in my lunchbox and have it sitting on the passenger seat when going to work....when she told me that she wanted to see my license and registration I told her that I had a license to carry and that my carry license, drivers license and gun were all in my lunchbox and not wanting for her to see my gun and get nervous when opening my lunchbox I ask her how she wanted to proceed.

With one hand now on her holstered Glock she ask me to hand her my closed lunchbox through the window and unlock the rear doors if they weren't already I did......she took my lunchbox, stepped to the rear passenger door and opened it, sat it on the seat, opened it, took out my wallet, closed the lunchbox, left it in the backseat and closed the door then handed me my wallet and ask me to get my carry and drivers license out and then ask me to get out and walk to the rear of the vehicle while she called in my tag.

When she finished calling in she handed me back my licenses and let me off with just a warning and said, "thank you for informing me that you had a firearm."

I can only imagine how things might have gone if I'd have just unthinkingly opened my lunchbox and reached in for my wallet and she'd have seen my handgun without me informing her.

If ever stopped again the first thing I will tell the officer, as I did that time, is that there is a firearm in the vehicle.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you appear to never leave Oklahoma and intend to carry a weapon in states that Do require a CC license to legally carry, I can understand your position.
Those of us that travel across this US in states that DO require a CC license and have reprocity with the Ok CC license will continue to renew.
It’s a personal choice.
I get it. No I do not travel on any regular basis really. However, when I do leave OK (and I do, I've been to 43 of the lower 48) I may well cover 2000 miles and cover many states on the way.
But I stand by my original viewpoint.

Latest posts

Top Bottom