is it worth to renew your concealed carry with all the new laws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take note of 18 U.S.C. § 922(t)(3) when renewing:

(3)Paragraph (1) shall not apply to a firearm transfer between a licensee and another person if—
(A)
(i) such other person has presented to the licensee a permit that
(I) allows such other person to possess or acquire a firearm; and
(II) was issued not more than 5 years earlier by the State in which the transfer is to take place; and

(ii) the law of the State provides that such a permit is to be issued only after an authorized government
official has verified that the information available to such official does not indicate that possession
of a firearm by such other person would be in violation of law;
I’m pretty slow on understanding legal talk not sure what this is saying

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m pretty slow on understanding legal talk not sure what this is saying

From what I surmise, the fed's will not accept a permit/license older than 5 years to take the place of a standard NCIS background check. Therefore a 10 year OK SDA license can't be used in lieu of if it has been more than five years since issuance. This may/may not influence someone's OK SDA renewal decision.

IANAL, so if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

corneileous

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got my new license yesterday. 66 day turn-around. I renewed by mail and sent it in on March 3rd.

It took them two months to renew it? Wow, I would think they’d be underworked now that many people are taking advantage of the permitless carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It took them two months to renew it? Wow, I would think they’d be underworked now that many people are taking advantage of the permitless carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the 10 year permit still an option?

Yes, they are still saying to allow 60 to 90 days for renewals. I'm just glad I got it as soon as I did! Mine was due to expire the 13th.

And, the 10-year is still an option, but I really don't see the point for me. It doesn't save you any money (of course, that could change), as it stands right now the 10-year might not be any help instead of 4473 after 5 years (unless the FBI changes its mind), and at my age I might expire before my permit did!

Latest posts

Top Bottom