Is "okie" offensive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only time I was offended by "Okie" was when a few of the ESPN commentators would refer to OU as Okie U and Oklahoma State Okie State.
That was on purpose by ex players that got their butts handed to them by one or both teams.
Yeah, I recall being pissed when that happened. I can't remember that one yayhoo's name (not an ex-player) who did it all the time in football.

Wait, I remember. Brent Musburger.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
[sarcasm] I can't believe you guys aren't completely OUTRAGED by this nonsense of being called "okies". How dare they call us that. [sarcasm/end]

I have no issues with the name okie. I'm poudly born in this state, and a proud okie dang it! I've been called much worse than okie in my life.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I recall being pissed when that happened. I can't remember that one yayhoo's name (not an ex-player) who did it all the time in football.

Wait, I remember. Brent Musburger.
Bingo. But there was another younger guy that was on for a short period. Ex player who hated OU. Was only on a season or two and gone.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll give a bit different perspective than most here. I'm nearly 71 years old and was raised in Cimarron County in the Oklahoma Panhandle in a small town, which at its biggest only boasted 627 people. But, those people were of the age of those that were the pioneers and homesteaders, WWII veterans, and survivors of the Depression as well as the Dust Bowl, which had its epicenter in Cimarron County.

I had family members and friends who both moved to other locales for work and who stayed behind in Cimarron County. Those people demonstrated a courage that I can never match, in that they had the courage to either pack up their whole family in one car and with what belongings they could carry and moved elsewhere, with no guarantees of work. Those that stayed behind did so with the courage to stick it out with no guarantees or local work or even the capability of harvesting any crops.

Our town blacksmith was a WWII veteran with an artificial leg. Once, when we were in his shop to have a part welded, he noticed me staring at the ankle of his leg. He stopped what he was doing and took the time to explain to me at a young age about how horrible war is, but also why it is sometimes necessary.

So, like Old Phart stated, I will bear the name Okie with great pride and honor.

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So many today have no clue as to how the term began. There was a time the term was used to describe the poor dirt trash that seemed to keep coming down the road. It made a mockery of those from Oklahoma, and yes, the term was very offensive to those Oklahomans who were forced to do what they had to do at the time.

Today, the term is still there, but often overlooked as to its past.

Latest posts

Top Bottom