Is "okie" offensive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was 16 I lived in Salinas, CA for about 4 months. The area was full of Okies that moved out during the depression. More than one girl would drag me over to meet their grandparents. They were all really proud to be Okies.
As far as Injun goes, at a time and still is, a way of talking down to Indians. Some guys don't mind being talked down to and others can pass as white and will talk down to other Indians. I do not like the word. as far as the ones making comments about being thin skinned, just because you don't mind being less of a person, you do not need to toss an insult to drag the rest of us down with you.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okie, Redneck, Cracker, Honky, Blanket Butt, Halfbreed etc...

I'm not easily offended, the names and jokes don't bother me in the least. I've been asked (Within the last year while on a business trip to NYC) what it's like to live in a tee-pee, without running what or electricity. I was not offended but 3 colleagues who were with me at the time and have known me for years were highly offended (and vocal) on my behalf. I must admit that made me feel good.

They took the opportunity to educate the Yankee as to the error of his ways and his ignorance. When they finally realized he was asking a serious question, the conversation turned to a more civil tone. Come to find out, the guy asking the question has never been outside NYC and has a VERY mis-construed view of the rest of the world. Sad actually.

To the original question, no I'm not offended and even when harsher names are used I usually on reply with "I've been called worse by better, you are going to have to step up your game to get to me."

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So... what do you guys think of sport team names like Indians, Braves, Chiefs, Redskins, etc.?
Now ya gone and done it, I bet this is going to get interesting. Personally I have no issues with those names as I see them as purely Sports teams. I would completely understand if there were to be feelings of disrespect though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my travels around the country and parts of the world outside of Ok, it's interesting to note that "Okie" or from Oklahoma is not associated with the dust bowl like those from California did. Okie's were treated worse than dirt out there.
It's been my experience that people finding out your from Oklahoma and Texas associate you with oil and Indians, or Native Americans, however you want to identify yourself and are instantly interested and want to talk about it.
Around my home town, we have several agri-tourism farms/ranches that have visitors from out of the country. I know one owner personally, and she said the majority are from Germany touring route 66 and the area's around it. They have the pre-concieved notion that tepees will be everywhere.
I'm glad Okie362 contributed. He has a much more current feel of the word "okie" and how its perceived around the counry/world .
To Okie362, how do the folk in the countries you travel to associate you with Oklahoma?

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@ Dennis:
A lot of the folks I talk to aren't aware of where OK is so they have no conceptual view one way or the other. Of those who do, they typically think of Native American villages etc. Some have actually spent time in Tulsa since the company I work for has a large data center there.

Of the ones who do know of Oklahoma and "Okies" beyond it being the Indian Territory they seem to perceive all "Okies" as being honest, trust worthy, kind, generous and hard working individuals...If only that were true.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@ Dennis:
A lot of the folks I talk to aren't aware of where OK is so they have no conceptual view one way or the other. Of those who do, they typically think of Native American villages etc.
My experience was back in the 70's and 80's along with a few company trips since. The internet information was not available at that time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom