Is "okie" offensive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that "Okie" is used as a derogatory term in California synonymous with "dufus" or maybe "hilbilly." I think it's one of those situations where Oklahomans can say it about themselves or other Oklahomans but if anyone else says it then it's derogatory. I know I don't want some guy from Arkansas calling me an "Okie."

I was recently at the stockyards in Fort Worth and entered a rodeo-in-progress via an open door in the alley. We went in and found a seat just in time to see a guy from Oklahoma take the lead on the bull riding. We were right by where he left the arena and I yelled "Good job, Okie" and gave him a thumbs up. Thinking about it now, this might have been a bit like dropping an N-bomb at the Grammy's.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
In my travels around the country and parts of the world outside of Ok, it's interesting to note that "Okie" or from Oklahoma is not associated with the dust bowl like those from California did. Okie's were treated worse than dirt out there.
It's been my experience that people finding out your from Oklahoma and Texas associate you with oil and Indians, or Native Americans, however you want to identify yourself and are instantly interested and want to talk about it.
Around my home town, we have several agri-tourism farms/ranches that have visitors from out of the country. I know one owner personally, and she said the majority are from Germany touring route 66 and the area's around it. They have the pre-concieved notion that tepees will be everywhere.
I'm glad Okie362 contributed. He has a much more current feel of the word "okie" and how its perceived around the counry/world .
To Okie362, how do the folk in the countries you travel to associate you with Oklahoma?

We were at the "Oklahoma" play at Discovery Land back when it was open when I was in high school. There was a high school drama group there watching the show in front of us from Rhode Island. Several times before the show they turned around asking about this and that in OK. They felt like they had been completely mislead prior to their trip, because they were really expecting to see teepees, the general population on horseback, etc lol.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
And yet it was being discussed before my post... :P
Everyone else was discussing being and Okie as the major topic. Your post was not on topic, at all. If you wanted to discuss that topic, then start a different thread.
So it's like blacks calling each other the "N" word... ok for them, but no one else?
Sorry, I just can't comprehend this mindset. IMO, it's either an insult or it's not. :confused:
Okie, is not comparable tot he "N" word. the only way you would know if someone was from Oklahoma is if they tell you. You pretty much so tell if someone is black just by looking.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
As we all know, the terms "Okies" and "Arkies" were popularized by the book "The Grapes of Wrath." Yes, it was a derogatory term used by Komifornians against people from Oklahoma and Arkansas during the Great Depression. As it turned out, however, far more Arkies went west than did Okies. This didn't matter to the left-coasters (does the truth ever matter to a liberal?) and soon any destitute, homeless family that had even the slightest southern drawl, became an "Okie."

Being called an Okie doesn't bother me in the least, as I am proud of the state I was born in and my heritage therein.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not one bit ashamed to be called an 'Okie', an 'Injun', or a 'hippy'. I don't look full blood indian, because I'm not so don't expect it, and no idea if I look like an Okie, but I for sure look like a hippy. There are some other words I don't like to be called tho that I might not be so forgiving and we will likely be boxing.

My parents and their parents were all born and raised in OK so I guess I'm an Okie by blood even tho I was born and raised in CA. Ive lived back and forth between the 2 states practically my entire life and prefer to identify as an Okie a lot quicker than a 'Kommifornian'. I had a drama teacher in highschool back in San Diego who said he had to reprogram my speech after I had spent a summer in OK at my moms visiting.

About the 'injun' thing. Redskin. Whatever. I didn't live the struggles that my grandfather did. I never experienced the problems he did. My grandpa passed before I was born. He was full blood Osage indian born in 1885 in Ponca but lived on family Osage county allotment land, his parents were Osage indians who were moved with the tribe from Missouri to Kansas to OK. He went to Chilocco indian school and Haskell indian college. Apparently he wasn't a citizen or even a person until the 1920s. My gramma was born on the Kaw reservation land that her parents were removed to near Ponca. She was 3/4 Kaw, her father was a 'halfbreed'- half Kaw indian and half French, his father came from Canada and married into the tribe, her mother was full blood. So. I am 1/2 pure Anglo on my paternal side; 7/16 native and a sixteenth French/white on my maternal side. That's just a few bits more than a 1/4 total native. I have 2 CDIB cards that say 1/4 Osage, 1/16 Kaw. Since the govt only lets you recognize legally as belonging to only one tribe after some in the 80s you cant combine the bloods on your CDIB cards so we just say we are 1/4 Osage and drop the 1/16th Kaw.

My father was 100% white but he had dark hair and olive skin- his fathers side was Scot, his mothers Irish. I remember seeing some redheaded aunts and cousins at reunions in Louisianna. I got the families Scot-Irish blonde looks and my younger only full blood sibling is dark like an indian. My older half sibs with same father different mother have zero native and theyre all blondes and gingers; my younger half sibs same mother different father their father is full blood Osage so with my moms 3/4 they all look full blood.

The hippy part I just don't like haircuts and haven't since I was a kid, its been about 4 or 5 years now since the last time Ive had a haircut besides split end trims and I hate to wash it too so I guess I'm a true dirty hippy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom