Is "okie" offensive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My paternal side fled Georgia soon after sherman marched through. They moved to Tennessee, but the war followed. They moved to Missouri, but the redlegs followed. They moved to the Nations, and one war stopped as a new one began.

My maternal side was forced from Georgia when jackson stole their lands and gave them a trail for many to die on. A few survived the trail.

The two sides amazingly came together, and sent strong roots deep into the ground. They became survivors through the many challenges they faced. They were never forced out again.

I have been called many things during my life, and many were offensive. In my case, I always knew more about me than those ignorant or uneducated folks doing the name calling. Common sense and decency are not entitlements, they are hard earned.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
This damn country as a whole needs to pay attention to an age old nursery rhyme..
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me...
We have a whole lot of major issues,I.E cancer,world hunger and political/religious fanaticism, and yet we get endless drivel about derogatory names...

Tripper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was 16 I lived in Salinas, CA for about 4 months. The area was full of Okies that moved out during the depression

Lol, I'm an okie, and now live in salinas.
I haven't really met many other okies, Being referred to as okie i take as a badge of honor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lived in commiefornia for a year on 2 different occasions. Never was called an okie unless in jest. Wouldn't have cared anyway, name calling causes me no injury. I did get asked about what a Sooner was though. Had to explain the land run to them. These were college educated aerospace engineers too. Go figure...

Latest posts

Top Bottom