Is "okie" offensive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This damn country as a whole needs to pay attention to an age old nursery rhyme..
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me...
We have a whole lot of major issues,I.E cancer,world hunger and political/religious fanaticism, and yet we get endless drivel about derogatory names...
By God we need to change the Redskins football team name to something like snowflake!

MikieG7174

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lets visit reality. There is a whole amendment dedicated to protecting free speech. There is NO such amendment dedicated to protecting your feelings.
That said. Offense is a choice made by you. Someone can say WHATEVER they want. It is your choice as to wether you are offended by it or not.
We spend WAAAAy too much time trying to make others conform to the opinions of those around them.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hehe, no kiddin'... :D

FWIW, I'm an imported Okie.

Moved here from Texas in '76 with my new bride (I was 18). Home folks called me an Okie, folks here called me a Texan.

Man without a country... :D

Hey Mac, Know the difference between a Texan and a damn Texan? A Texan is just passing thru, and a damn Texan is here to stay.

Okuma

Crocodylus Pontifex
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's replies, I only asked because I considered some name changes to the forum when I first took it over, and most of the name's that I thought sounded good had "okie" in the title, "Okie Gun Forum" would be an example.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's replies, I only asked because I considered some name changes to the forum when I first took it over, and most of the name's that I thought sounded good had "okie" in the title, "Okie Gun Forum" would be an example.
I never noticed the forum actually has two names, okshooters.com and Oklahoma Shooters Association. When I talk to someone wanting to sell a gun I normally tell them to go to okshooters.com, I never use the formal name. My daughter, the marketing guru would start talking about how you need to "Brand" your product properly.
Oklahoma shooters association seems a little restrictive or specialized. Calgun is short and simple for this type of forum in California. I like okshooters.com as the name "Okshooters" just title the site Something along the lines of Oklahoma's Premier Shooting Sports Home.
Having said that, if the name changes, we need new hats. It will make my old hat a collectors item.

Last edited:

Okuma

Crocodylus Pontifex
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never noticed the forum actually has two names, okshooters.com and Oklahoma Shooters Association. When I talk to someone wanting to sell a gun I normally tell them to go to okshooters.com, I never use the formal name. My daughter, the marketing guru would start talking how you need to "Brand" your product properly.
Oklahoma shooters association seems a little restrictive or specialized. Calgun is short and simple for this type of forum in California. I like okshooters.com as the name "Okshooters" just title the site Something along the lines of Oklahoma's Premier Shooting Sports Home.
Having said that, if the name changes, we need new hats. It will make my old hat a collectors item.
I agree with most of that, the only reason I've wanted to do a name change is to get a web address and a name that are the same. I hadn't considered just calling the forum "OKshooters" but I'll think about it a bit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom