Is Reloading Really Worth It?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reloading 9mm might not be the biggest savings out there but you do save. Its also nice to know you can reload a couple of boxes up when a match comes up and you dont have to run to the store and hand the guys your wallet. You notice a bigger savings though with .45 ACP. I load both and can shoot a lot more for the same price.

Exactly.

9MM is relatively cheap to buy. I figure I saved like $6 per box on 9MM. However, I also shoot some calibers that are not cheap to buy and sometimes not a stocked item in many stores. For example, 7.62 Tokarev ammo. On that Tokarev and .380 ammo I save $13-18 per box.

Beast, I don't have dies for .45ACP. Bass Pro stocks Lee pistol dies at $29.99 per set.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I figure I can save about $65/1000 reloading 124gr jacketed 9mm:

MG 124gr CMJ, Win SP Primers, ~5gr HS-6, 1x fired brass reloaded 10x

...........................................$0.12.....$122.37...Per: 1000
Bullets......$303.00....3750.....$0.08
Primers.......$25.00....1000.....$0.03
Brass..........$40.00..10000.....$0.00...10 reloads 1000 ct
Powder.......$17.60....1400.....$0.01...5 grs 1 lb

Ammo.......$187.95...1000.....$0.19....$187.95...Per: 1000

Then, since we always have the gripes and moans about time spent... I have a Dillon 550. So if I set up my press for 9mm, I can load that 1k rounds in 2.5 hours, making my time worth $26/hr. Not bad for a hobby.

On a Lee Turret, that would likely be ~4hours, still making your time worth more than $15/hr; and for less start up cost.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bumping so I can see NK's figures without a ******* ad squeezing them out of alignment.

ETA: OK, now that I can see the figures properly; those numbers are nice, but I'd consider my time worth more than $15 an hour. That plus a general tendency to be unorganized leads me to... an RCBS progressive press that has yet to see action in two years :blush:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Like I said, not bad for a hobby. And, that's for 9mm, pretty much the lowest cost centerfire round you can reload.

Take .38 spl.

Now you save $200 per 1k, so triple that value.

I figured for .243 Win, about 50 rounds per hour, and you save about $35 per 50, and per hour.

Now, another caliber I've looked at is 6mm BR, now with that, you can save $75 per 50 rounds.

But yes, if you're trying to weigh the time input when loading 9mm on a single stage, then it probably isn't worth it.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You want to see big Savings look at the rifle rounds. It will pay for it's self quick! I can load a box of 100- 300 WIn mag for 45 to 50.00. At the store they will cost you 35.00 for a box of 20.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Invest in a 30 dollar Lee tumble lube mold, 8 bucks for bottle of liquid alox lube, a few wheel weights or some lead, build a fire and make your own bullets, to start out you don't need a whole lot, I have cast several thousand .45 acp bullets while sitting at a campfire in deer camp, shooting the bull with my buddies just using an old cast iron skillet and a ladle. It took several nights to do it but it was a good way to pass the time. By making your own bullets you can load .38's. 45's, 9mm etc. for about .05 or 06 cents a shot not counting the brass which normally will last for at least 10 reloads and can be bought once fired for .10 cents ea. max. if you shop around. The only problem is that reloading sometimes develops into a sickness and you end up with cast iron molds, bullet sizer/lubricators, case trimmers, powder measures, scales, tumblers, more presses, more dies and it can get out of hand pretty easily if you let it.

Woodcutter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saving my pennies for a press, dies etc... I also shoot a CZ52 in 7.62 Tok. The S&B ammo ends up costing me ~53 a round. Reloading will save me a ton.

I love the CZ52 and love to reload for it, but I want to add a note of caution. In spite of what others say (even gun magazine writers), the CZ52 is not a strong design, so whatever you do, do not try to load it to high pressures or you could blow up the gun. Stick with the latest published loads from reputable loading manuals and you will be fine. Just do not, under any circumstances, go over the published maximum loads. Also, be wary of some of the old surplus 7.62 Tokarev ammo. Some of it is a bit hot for the CZ52, and on some of it, the necks of the cases have started to split, making the rounds susceptible to bullet setback.

Another problem reloading the 7.62 Tokarev is that there is not a large slection of jacketed 30 caliber pistol bullets. Hordady probably makes the best self defense and hunting bullet for this round, the 90 grain XTP. I do not know of any factory loaded soft point or hollow point 7.62 Tokarev ammo, so reloading is about the only way to get good quality hunting ammo that is legal for hunting and performs well.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder. I am aware of the issues with surplus ammo and the design of the CZ52. I had a box of Romanian ammo that had begun to split.... I harvested the bullets...

Wolf makes JHP ammo in 7.62 Tok. I also have a box of Sierra 85 grain FMJ sitting here on the shelf. Just waiting till I can afford a set of dies. Maybe next week.

I love my CZ. It's a comfortable pistol for me to shoot. And it has high points (with me) for it's looks! I want to find a set of aftermarket grips to make it a hair fatter for my big hands. Houge grips are nice but silly spendy and I am broke....

Latest posts

Top Bottom