Is the 25-06 obsolete/unpopular now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After following along on this thread; I'm thinking I might just want a 25-06! The question is: Do I really need another gun? Nope! But wants and needs are two different things. At this stage of life, I'm disposing of items and not trying to accumulate more.

But I can salivate, dreaming about a new caliber I haven't tried. Sometimes the yearning is more rewarding than the actual obtaining.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“Sometimes the yearning is more rewarding than the actual obtaining”………..The excetion?😛

1AE0BF44-0556-4016-8CF6-BB4FE73C0D92.jpeg

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“Sometimes the yearning is more rewarding than the actual obtaining”………..The excetion?😛

View attachment 311382
Now you're trying to tempt me! I think there is something in the Bible about not yielding unto temptation. Failed at that many times. I suppose a few more times of yielding could happen. :)

grizzlywinmag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a fan of old cartridges like the .250 Savage, .257 Roberts and the .25-06. All three are great deer cartridges. I gave my 16 yo son a T/C Encore chambered for .25-06 and he’s taken several whitetail at over 200 yards, one shot and they dropped. Ammo is very much available although a bit pricey as most are now. I also reload so no worries about supply.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
after i had my .30-06 i was still filled with the urge to shoot something that hit 4,000 fps. so i picked up a couple boxes of these. i guess they are discontinued now?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002026387
the windage on them seemed okay, but they def hit higher than muh .30-06 when i tested them lol. it's been well over 15 years since i shot any, but i bet i have at least one whole box somewhere. i heard they were crap for the barrel, so i didn't want to shoot many of them, but always liked somewhat novelty things like this.

sabot rounds are definitely coveted by some people, and this was my .25-06 proxy.

Owasso

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up hunting with a 1979 Winchester model 70, that my dad bought at Gibson's. My dad my, brother, and I have killed too many deer, pigs, and coyotes to count mainly using Remington Corelokts 100 or 120 grain. It has killed two bull elk without a problem.
When I purchased my first rifle I purchased a 257 wby mag. thinking it would be an improvement. Wrong!!! 257 wby cost me $3 or more every time I pulled the trigger. I killed several pigs and two deer. I noticed the bullets did not properly expand at close ranges. I never had that problem with the 25.06.
I quickly bought a Sako 25.06. I have killed countless deer, pigs, and coyotes with it. Never had to track an animal. The number 1 thing I like most about the 25.06 is the ability to see the impact on the animal through scope. I always know right where I hit the animal. It is the Goldilocks caliber for me. I hunt mainly in SW OK.
It is not perfect for everyone, but I will hunt with it as long as I find ammo or components.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 25-06 has never really been a wildly popular caliber with shooters at least not in legitimized form, it was more popular as wild cat before Remington standardized it . Good cartridge for most medium game, but 25 caliber cartridges had their hey day before the 243 came around in the 50's . One of the things that hurts the 25's and one that many people tend to overlook is the fact that you do not have many bullet options out there . I did do a lot of hunting with a 257 Roberts in the past though and was always pleased with the results.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to be honest I have had several 6.5 creedmoor and I’m looking to get another to keep. I have a couple 243’s but really like the 6.5 creedmoor

Latest posts

Top Bottom