Is the 25-06 obsolete/unpopular now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prairie Traveler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As someone else posted, I too made the mistake of selling a nice 25-06. Mine was a Ruger 77V, with a heavy 24" barrel. Never had the chance to take it a-field, but it was a very accurate, pleasant to shoot rifle. If I would have had the money, last night, I would have bid on a Savage 112 .25-06, that "Gun-Broker" had up for auction! I still have some ammo for one, in anticipation of finding another rifle!

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As someone else posted, I too made the mistake of selling a nice 25-06. Mine was a Ruger 77V, with a heavy 24" barrel. Never had the chance to take it a-field, but it was a very accurate, pleasant to shoot rifle. If I would have had the money, last night, I would have bid on a Savage 112 .25-06, that "Gun-Broker" had up for auction! I still have some ammo for one, in anticipation of finding another rifle!
The nice thing about Savage rifles: buy any long action (numbered rifle - 110, 112, 114, etc) and put a new barrel in it. You can do it yourself with a $40 wrench and a headspace gauge.

bcp

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Sako 75 synthetic in 25-06, it was a great shooter. I sold it to a friend to buy a lighter weight rifle, by Cooper Arms in 7mm-08. I now wish I would have kept it but my friend sure enjoyed owning it.

Hack

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From NRA American Hunter:

.25-06 Remington: Adolph Niedner necked down the .30-06 Springfield case to hold .257-inch bullets in the 1920s, but it wasn’t until 1969 that Remington legitimized that wildcat cartridge as the .25-06 Remington. The cartridge found favor with hunters who wanted a single rifle for shooting everything from varmints to deer and even elk. When loaded with 100-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip ammo, at 3,220 fps the .25-06 hits just 5.9-inches low at 300 yards (when zeroed at 200 yards), and that makes shooting in open country easier. It’s no wonder famed Wyoming gun writer and hunter Bob Milek championed this cartridge. He appreciated the .25-06’s flat trajectory and mild recoil, and he found it to be an efficient killer.

I must agree. Years ago, a friend of mine drew a Shiras moose tag in Idaho, and I questioned his decision to carry a .25-06 on that hunt. A few days later he killed his bull with a single 120-grain Partition bullet. Upon impact, the bull tensed, took three steps forward and dropped. I witnessed very similar performance when my friend and fellow outdoor writer David Draper shot a big aoudad ram across a windy canyon with the .25-06. The .25-06 is light for elk and moose (although it has accounted for several of each), but for hogs, sheep, deer and antelope it’s darn near perfect. It’s also a great gun for predators and varmints, and its modest recoil (about 12 pounds in an average weight sporter rifle) makes it a superb option even for new shooters.

Rod Carter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 26-06 with a fast twist barrel to shoot high bc bullets or Hammer bullets will take a old round to the next level,

I have tuned one up for a friend with 85 grain Hammer Hunters, all I'll say is FAST and is deadly on deer and such

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
99 grain Hammer Hunters
Over $1 for each projectile I do not think I will ever get those.
Just ridiculous.
I really do not need a High BC bullet and really most of my shots are pretty close in as I tend to Hunt instead of snipe.
I still do not like the 6.5 CM and a high BC bullet will not make me like it either.

Especially if they are over $1 each.

Rod Carter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over $1 for each projectile I do not think I will ever get those.
Just ridiculous.
I really do not need a High BC bullet and really most of my shots are pretty close in as I tend to Hunt instead of snipe.
I still do not like the 6.5 CM and a high BC bullet will not make me like it either.

Especially if they are over $1 each.
I said same till I tried them ,
Easiest bullets I ever tuned and loaded, 99 grain , 41 varget is around 3200 in my 6.5 Needs-more
Kills very well now

Latest posts

Top Bottom