Is the ATF Planning a Pistol Brace Amnesty Registration?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Abram

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'd think with all the tough talk on gun forums from the keyboard commandos who aren't gonna comply and are always preaching we should do this and that to thwart government over-reach, that government over-reach wouldn't be a problem any longer. Yet here were are with an out-of-control government and the same keyboard commandos still talking tough and thumping their chests.

Wonder why that is?
Their wife’s won’t let them freedom fight on Saturday because of the kids soccer tournament, they can’t freedom fight M-F because the job dictates schedule, and they can’t freedom fight on Sunday because, well football and beer.

So you see, it’s SO much easier to freedom fight with a keyboard than to really freedom fight. Let’s face it, most of our lives are too plush to step out and do anything real.

hammerdown51

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Non-compliance is the only right way on this. Anyone who plays the ATF's game for personal benefit is throwing everyone under the bus.
And how much sense does it make to force folks to submit fingerprints and undergo another background check for something they've already been checked for . . . not even considering all of the stupid pictures required.
I wonder if the companies that sell these items will be required to provide lists of customers?

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if the companies that sell these items will be required to provide lists of customers?
Look at what happened to a Gunbroker seller, basically blaming it on a shipping service that found the best rates so?? But if you notice most all the indusrty shipping parts use the same provider, starts with a f. That provider is most likely anti 2A; don’t quote me I have not looked for facts on them yet.
Still worth watching a lot of stuff from attorneys that are on this topic. I would say the best option for the FTA is to grandfather them in with no paperwork. They are already backed up, just imagine if 7 million had to file forms, years if not decades to get that much done at the pace they are at now.
Oh and the FTA took like $3k worth of Sig optics from the dude, supposedly.
I wouldn’t put it past the FTA to be honest but why take optics if you don’t like to shoot?

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking about this whole deal about ATF offering a Amnesty period for pistol braces. Had a conversation with a lawyer I ran into and he brought up a good question, " Why do you need Amnesty for something that was considered legal at the time of purchase?". He stated be very careful with this by accepting a Amnesty registration. Basically you are acknowledging that you did something illegal by signing up. In all other instances in law change there is a grandfather clause why not this? You were following the law at the time. I'm not effected, expected this and wanted no part of it as stated before it was a work around the law even though I felt it was legal under there definition. So something to ponder.

ramco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
they can only regulate the barrel length according to their own rules. It's an overall length thing. It has nothing to do with braces. Anything not regulated to that is not within their scope. It's a regulatory agency, not a law making agency. They can't do jack about them. Stop following their lead.
When the ATF was formed, they were given the power to make regulations, just like the IRS. They were given the power by Congress and their regulations have the force of law. Do you think yhe bump stock regulation was ever brought up in Congress? It was a new definition invented out of thin air by the ATF at the request of the president. No one ever voted on it. No one ever gets to vote on IRS regulations either, but you can go to jail of pay a hefty fine if you break one. Bump stocks are not firearms but the ATF decided they were machine guns all by themselves whether they were attached to a firearm or not. The federal government can do virtually anything they want and until they are taken to federal court and beaten, they will continue to get away with anything.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When the ATF was formed, they were given the power to make regulations, just like the IRS. They were given the power by Congress and their regulations have the force of law. Do you think yhe bump stock regulation was ever brought up in Congress? It was a new definition invented out of thin air by the ATF at the request of the president. No one ever voted on it. No one ever gets to vote on IRS regulations either, but you can go to jail of pay a hefty fine if you break one. Bump stocks are not firearms but the ATF decided they were machine guns all by themselves whether they were attached to a firearm or not. The federal government can do virtually anything they want and until they are taken to federal court and beaten, they will continue to get away with anything.

This is why the West Virginia v. EPA decision this summer has such great significance - basically, the Supreme Court ruled that EPA could not rely on chevron deference when it came to promulgating new regulations regarding the coal production industry. Chevron deference being, Congress would defer to the executive agency‘s “best judgment” when it comes to promulgating new regulations. The ATF relies on chevron deference to issue new rules such as the outlawing of bump stocks and arm braces, using nothing more than their own (spurious) judgement, and Congress would defer to the ATF. There are lawsuits now that name the ATF as the defendant because chevron deference was struck down in the EPA case, so it should be the same where the ATF is concerned. I’m hopeful these lawsuits will be decided in favor of the Second.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The federal government can do virtually anything they want and until they are taken to federal court and beaten, they will continue to get away with anything.

And sometimes even that doesn't stop them or other government entities at various levels... We're seeing that now.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And sometimes even that doesn't stop them or other government entities at various levels... We're seeing that now.
Absolutely. They have an unlimited budget and will always win even if you're in the right. Your home, retirement, savings, vehicles etc will be lost in proving your innocence.
Ask General Michael Thomas Flynn about how the government can accuse you and bankrupt you when you are innocent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom