Is the Python coming back?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Python Schmython

The Python had a cool name and a cool look especially when being drawn from a shoulder holster and was hyped as hell by Hollywood like "the most powerful handgun in the world" model 29.
In my opinion the Smith 27 3.5 inch was the absolute best balanced, best finished, and best handling revolver in my day.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Python Schmython

The Python had a cool name and a cool look especially when being drawn from a shoulder holster and was hyped as hell by Hollywood like "the most powerful handgun in the world" model 29.
In my opinion the Smith 27 3.5 inch was the absolute best balanced, best finished, and best handling revolver in my day.

You’re obviously a very intelligent individual. :)

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Python Schmython

But Your day has come and went.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the new version Colt King Cobra -- 3 inch barrel -- stainless steel -- .357 magnum. Excellent firearm ( I bought it used), Outstanding double and single action trigger, pretty close to compare to my Diamondback, never shot a Python.

I traded for a S&W Performance Center Model 19 Carry Comp. shot 50 rounds in each (.38 special, WWB) one afternoon. Could shoot either one all day with the factory WWB.

Colt builds a King Cobra Target:

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/king-cobra-target

I have been looking at it, Stainless Steel -- I haven’t seen, a Deep Royal Blue version, the 4 inch barrel is the only option on the Target version.

It took S&W some time to develop the Performance Center Model 19 Carry Comp -- Maybe Colt trying to figure out the handgun market, like everyone else.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IIRC the rifling is the wrong way too.
Only if you think the 1911’s rifling turns the wrong way.

On the spin of a revolver’s cylinder, I’ve put quite a few rounds down range out of both Colt and S&W wheel guns, and I can’t say that the direction the cylinder rotated made a single bit of difference. The rifling direction is a different story. I once talked to a guy who had trouble shooting 1911s because of their rifling direction; he was missing most of his right index finger, so he used his middle finger as his trigger finger, which only gave him two fingers to control the pistol. He said it wasn’t a problem with most guns, but the rifling on the 1911 caused it to recoil away from his palm, which left those two fingers to control the recoil. (It’s not that he couldn’t control it, just that it was a lot easier on pistols where the rifling turned the other way.)

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Aside from it being a collector's item and gaining value over time, it's just not that great of a gun.
6 rounds in a large revolver? Whoopty doo. We can get 12+ in a pistol less than half its size and price.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A Python is not a large revolver compared to a freedom arms revolver which was the comparison I was making. a python is what, Comparable or maybe just a bit smaller than an L-frame?
A 686 in a 2-4” barrel ain’t losing much at all if any, in a one on one gunfight
A Freedom Arms model 97 is quite a bit smaller than a model 83

Latest posts

Top Bottom