Is there a 22 LR self defense round?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcelt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This isn’t for me and I realize 22 LR is not a good self defense round. If someone was going to use one for self defense, are there any rounds that are specifically made for that? My experience is with cheap plinking rounds and I am not an expert on 22LR. I will do an internet search but wondered about the experience of our group. Thanks.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But to answer your question, I think the best .22LR rounds for self-defense is probably the very reliable CCI Mini-Mags, Velocitors, or Stingers. I have 40 gr Mini-Mags in my S&W M&P .22 Compact for the wife to have as an easy access "kitchen gun".

The Mini-Mags come in either 36 gr HP, or 40 gr solids. I have never had an ammo related issue with CCI Mini-Mags in any .22LR firearm, so if I was going to use a .22 for self-defense, I would go with those because I want the gun to function with each pull of the trigger above all else.

CCI Velocitors would also be "fine", as far as a 22LR round goes, although I've shot a gazillion Mini-Mags and maybe just a couple hundred Velocitors, so I can't attest to how well they will function in your gun..

CCI Stingers have a bit longer case and some firearms manufacturers do not recommend their use for that reason. If you DO want to use Stingers, make sure your gun is NOT on that no-user list and that it functions reliably with them.

Best bet IMO is to stoke that thing up with 40 gr Mini-Mags and call it good.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There’s a HV match
round that’s been shown to have the most
Reliable rimfire ignition. And in a rimfire self defense round, the fact that it goes bang as reliably as possible is more important than type of bullet. It’s a green label I think. I have a box around here somewhere.

Latest posts

Top Bottom