Is there a 22 LR self defense round?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many times has this been gone over? Almost everyone who's responded already knows this stuff. The question was about what .22LR round, the answer is the heaviest, fastest, RELIABLE round in a particular gun. I think we'll all agree that most of us would prefer to have a larger caliber , but we'd probably all also agree that CCI Something Or The Other is a good choice based on our experiences with it and it's known reliability in a wide variety of guns. It's also generally available and not too expensive. (Pre COVID-19 Panic Buying anyway).

I have 10+1 CCI 40 grain Mini-Mags in an M&P .22 Compact. Based on the fact that I've put hundreds of them down range through that gun with not one single ammo related issue, I'm comfortable with it, given the known limitations of the whole package.

I feel MUCH better with that than if I had Remington Golden Duds in the gun or the cheapest plinking rounds I found on sale at Atwoods, that's for sure.

Jeebus guys...
We could bump some of the old discussions, but some folks don't like that.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OT: Agree with the consensus on CCI ammo. Even in my Walther P22QD I've had maybe one or two FTF/FTE with CCI ammo (mini mags both solid and hp). And anyone who knows about the P22 line knows they are picky on their ammo.

old tired topic that is more fossil now than a dead horse: Everyone agrees that a) .380 and up are better calibers for self defense and b) .22LR WILL kill a person, but may not stop a drug crazed person until after they have done harm. However, my 2 cents (worth about a plugged nickle, and even less to some) is that in many situations just brandishing a firearm will work as a deterrent. And even if you had to shoot many more will run away from getting shot. How many times on police shootings have we seen people run off after getting shot with 9mm and even .40 S&W? Personally I carry a .40 S&W when I'm in town but 9mm when I'm out of town. My choice is more on round count (12+1 in .40, 15+1 in 9mm for my PX4s).

As to why people carry .22: My wife is a prime example of someone who would carry a .22 for self defense. She, due to a statin she was on, lost a lot of grip strength (along with balance and other muscle tone). She can not rack the slide on even a M&P EZ .380. She gets close, but isn't able to. However we went through some dry fire drill (using snap caps of course) with her Taurus PT22 and she is able to a) load it and chamber a round and b) able to pull the trigger easily. So for her, its probably going to be .22 or nothing.

So, to give that pile a dust that slightly resembles a horse carcass a kick, .22 is good if that is all you can get or use. Otherwise JHP SD ammo in calibers .380 and above is more optimal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom