Is there a carpenter in da house?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm. That doesn't sound right to me. I have a dining room table in my kitchen and it doesn't have electricity ran to it. What's the difference?

It‘s your house. If you don’t want outlets in your island that’s fine. Some folks get carried away with their knowledge. And you don’t have to get a building permit or have an architect draw any plans if you don’t want to.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm. That doesn't sound right to me. I have a dining room table in my kitchen and it doesn't have electricity ran to it. What's the difference?
NEC ART 210.8 (A) 6 and 210.52 (C) 2-3

If the "countertop" serves the kitchen then the idea is that there is a hazard created when someone is tempted to place a countertop appliance on it using an extension cord. From my poor memory the code was submitted due to many children each year who were harmed by pulling things like oil fryers by the cord onto themselves.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It‘s your house. If you don’t want outlets in your island that’s fine. Some folks get carried away with their knowledge. And you don’t have to get a building permit or have an architect draw any plans if you don’t want to.
YEP! its your house do what ya want. If someone posts in an open forum ya do so knowing that you're going to get these types of replies. Everyone seems to forget that these threads live many lives and get searched and read years after we leave them. Why not post helpful information for anyone who may not know? Didn't sound like GED knew. Now he can make an informed decision even if he ignores my advice.

My opinion. .... its not "FINE". Its reckless (and the NEC seems to agree with me)

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
YEP! its your house do what ya want. If someone posts in an open forum ya do so knowing that you're going to get these types of replies. Everyone seems to forget that these threads live many lives and get searched and read years after we leave them. Why not post helpful information for anyone who may not know? Didn't sound like GED knew. Now he can make an informed decision even if he ignores my advice.

My opinion. .... its not "FINE". Its reckless (and the NEC seems to agree with me)
He’s making no structural changes to the house, he’s not changing the plumbing or adding electrical service. Under what scenario is a permit required for building an island in his kitchen? None. Not everything requires a permit.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He’s making no structural changes to the house, he’s not changing the plumbing or adding electrical service. Under what scenario is a permit required for building an island in his kitchen? None. Not everything requires a permit.
He's not saying you need a permit (if his house is in Hughes County rather than Holdenville proper, there may not even be any way to get a permit), just that it needs electric service to meet code. That might be kind of important if there's a fire and you want to minimize the hassle with the insurance company...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NEC ART 210.8 (A) 6 and 210.52 (C) 2-3

If the "countertop" serves the kitchen then the idea is that there is a hazard created when someone is tempted to place a countertop appliance on it using an extension cord. From my poor memory the code was submitted due to many children each year who were harmed by pulling things like oil fryers by the cord onto themselves.
That's exactly the reason. No matter what anyone thinks won't happen, this will happen.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Correct not everything requires a permit... but, installing a kitchen island does (if it has a long dimension of 24" or greater OR a short dimension of 12" or greater) you must have an outlet and the person installing it must be a state licensed electrician.
horse.jpg

He's not saying you need a permit (if his house is in Hughes County rather than Holdenville proper, there may not even be any way to get a permit), just that it needs electric service to meet code. That might be kind of important if there's a fire and you want to minimize the hassle with the insurance company...

Dad does rural stuff all the time your responsible to call the state inspector if no local towns claim the area
YUUPPPPP!!! (in my best Dave Hester Voice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom