Is there a Mossberg smitty in da house?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought a Streamlight TL Racker for my Mossberg 500A shotgun. I've watched a gozillion youtube videos on how to remove the stock forend and install the Streamlight, but mine is different.

In all the videos I've seen, they all say to remove the castle nut with an armorer's wrench, but...mine doesn't have a castle nut.

:scratch:

So other than having to take out all the guts and remove the magazine tube, is there any other way to install this thing? :anyone: Your help is greatly appreciated.

:thanku:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think SOME have the action bars molded into the forend, so you'd have to get a new action bar set that uses a nut if thats the case (and they come in 2 lengths).

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"First is the 7-3/4" tube. Second, it will have a 6-3/4" slide tube. Third method, there is no slide tube. The forend on the shotgun is a forend/slide tube combo. This will require you buy the new factory slide tube (from some place that sells Mossberg factory parts like Brownells, Mossberg part#12362BL, Brownell's Part#631-000-295. This is for the 6 3/4" slide, as it's cheaper than than the 7 3/4" slide with the locking nut.)"

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken, it just locks everything in place so you can unthread the magazine tube. It’s been years so I don’t really remember.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
"First is the 7-3/4" tube. Second, it will have a 6-3/4" slide tube. Third method, there is no slide tube. The forend on the shotgun is a forend/slide tube combo. This will require you buy the new factory slide tube (from some place that sells Mossberg factory parts like Brownells, Mossberg part#12362BL, Brownell's Part#631-000-295. This is for the 6 3/4" slide, as it's cheaper than than the 7 3/4" slide with the locking nut.)"
Adam knows his stuff! I’ll be glad to send you the wrench off next you need it.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went through this trying to add a light to my Maverick 88. I wanted a certain one, and since the parts are basically interchangeable I learned of the differences. Maverick 88 uses style 3 and in the end, it was better for me to sell the Maverick 88 and buy a Mossberg 590 with a factory installed IFL (which also got me a bit more capacity and a few other goodies).

Mossberg 590.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom