Is there any validity in the health risks to eating Oklahoma lake caught fish?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Besides being surrounded by incredibly busy roads, I wonder how much air traffic flies over Hefner?

Like down here by Lawton... So many stunningly beautiful clear water lakes, that probably all contain contamination from field artillery drilling, air force flying and bombing, granite decomposition, ag chems, etc...

Lab grown fish in man-made lakes doesn't sound appetizing to me, though I've never turned down a plate of saugeye or crappie.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think it's just like anything else, everything out there can kill you depending on method and amounts. Some just more so than others, mercury in the fish is not high on my "high risk" activity list.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's just like anything else, everything out there can kill you depending on method and amounts. Some just more so than others, mercury in the fish is not high on my "high risk" activity list.

I'd be more concerned with waterborne illnesses like bacterial meningitis passing off handling fish in recently flooded/turned over bodies of water.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like many many others was raised on a farm eating red meat. In fact, my father's favorite saying was, "Knock it's horns off, wipe it's butt and wave it over a match I'm ready to eat." Well, two quad bypasses and a pig valve later he passed last year at 91. Me, after having a quad bypass, and remembering the pain, I don't want another one. Doc says "eat fish". Yeah, right. I think the fish you buy at the store has more Mercury and pathogens than caught fish. You go to a restaurant and pay $15 for a piece of fish 1/4 inch thick that won't even cover a small hamburger bun. Or you can go to fast food fish that is processed whatever and then fried so what's the use?

A year ago I started fishing again after a long hiatus. (I remembered why I quit too.) Let's just say if you want to catch fish, go with me. Everyone I go with catches more fish and I rust hooks. I did catch a smallmouth but it was in Missouri and I had no way of eating it so I threw it back. Ain't caught one since. Figured I would have to go to the fish not bank fish anymore so I'm looking at different marine type floating options.

Last edited:

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always wondered what was blown up in the wichita mountain lakes. They have warning signs all over. Some of the others are interesting as they are full of clay. So how did they get contaminated? Possibly fracking and other naughtiness from oil and gas industry?

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always wondered what was blown up in the wichita mountain lakes. They have warning signs all over. Some of the others are interesting as they are full of clay. So how did they get contaminated? Possibly fracking and other naughtiness from oil and gas industry?

I imagine the dirt and clay washes in due to the damming of creeks that created all those lakes. flooding the soily creek beds and such.

You should fish the ponds on Fort Sill sometime. They make you take a fishing safety course, which I loathed and laughed at until the day I came across unexploded ordinance lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom