Is there any validity in the health risks to eating Oklahoma lake caught fish?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Besides being surrounded by incredibly busy roads, I wonder how much air traffic flies over Hefner?

Like down here by Lawton... So many stunningly beautiful clear water lakes, that probably all contain contamination from field artillery drilling, air force flying and bombing, granite decomposition, ag chems, etc...

Lab grown fish in man-made lakes doesn't sound appetizing to me, though I've never turned down a plate of saugeye or crappie.

Some of the best tasting fish I ever had from FT Sill came from WEST LAKE. ;)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We don’t eat any farm raised fish unless it’s raised in the US.
Tilapia raised in foreign countries is a two part process. They raise chicken over the tilapia, so the tilapia feed off chicken poop. Big investigation by 60 minutes or something a couple years ago with video to prove it.
Same with farm raised salmon in the Atlantic raised in cages.
The food goes to the most aggressive feeders. The less aggressive eat the poop later.

Nothing but wild caught salmon from Alaska for us.
Crappie is better than tilapia and I can catch them.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Matters of public health and/or toxicology are always thorny. In general you would be well advised to follow the advice of the experts tasked with making recommendations. Internet /YouTube/Ted talk advice, "common sense" and feelings will lead you astray quickly.

I could go into some of the reasons for this but would probably just end up making the waters muddy....just trust the experts

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Matters of public health and/or toxicology are always thorny. In general you would be well advised to follow the advice of the experts tasked with making recommendations. Internet /YouTube/Ted talk advice, "common sense" and feelings will lead you astray quickly.

I could go into some of the reasons for this but would probably just end up making the waters muddy....just trust the experts
Like I said though I've heard Hefner is the worst with Draper a close second for two headed babies and basketball nuts after eating the fish but Hefner ain't on the list. Is it not considered a state fishing lake?

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like I said though I've heard Hefner is the worst with Draper a close second for two headed babies and basketball nuts after eating the fish but Hefner ain't on the list. Is it not considered a state fishing lake?

Hefner has no consumption advisory for mercury
Draper does have a consumption advisory for mercury

Key words..."for mercury"

.....Here's the rub: the public mistakenly thinks there is a test that shows fish (or water or whatever) are safe to eat: there is no such test. Only leading possibilities are tested...too expensive to test for a wide range of things and even then there is a very real chance of missing some less common harmful substance

complete list of mercury advisories: https://www.deq.ok.gov/state-enviro...tion-in-oklahoma/consumption-recommendations/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom