Is this a bullet hole and damage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s the mystery. The house is pretty high off the street and has a steep driveway
The trajectory looks like it came from the sidewalk across the street
I don't think that's possible. If it had been fired from that close it would have gone through interior walls instead of bouncing off of them. To only be able to make it through that siding, maybe some OSB, and a half inch of drywall, then bounce off interior drywall, it had to be going very slow. A 9mm fired from across the street would have been able to go through lots of drywall, multiple 2x4s, etc. The only possibility if it came from close range is if it passed through something soft first. But then it likely would have been tumbling and odds aren't great it would make such a clean perfectly round hole. It's not outside the realm of possibility though that it went through a house before it got to yours. Or fences or whatever else might have been in its way. So if the trajectory is pointing towards houses or fences across the street, I would start looking for holes over there, too. Could have easily gone through someone's roof peak, especially if it didn't hit any studs, which isn't that improbable.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think that's possible. If it had been fired from that close it would have gone through interior walls instead of bouncing off of them. To only be able to make it through that siding, maybe some OSB, and a half inch of drywall, then bounce off interior drywall, it had to be going very slow. A 9mm fired from across the street would have been able to go through lots of drywall, multiple 2x4s, etc. The only possibility if it came from close range is if it passed through something soft first. But then it likely would have been tumbling and odds aren't great it would make such a clean perfectly round hole. It's not outside the realm of possibility though that it went through a house before it got to yours. Or fences or whatever else might have been in its way. So if the trajectory is pointing towards houses or fences across the street, I would start looking for holes over there, too. Could have easily gone through someone's roof peak, especially if it didn't hit any studs, which isn't that improbable.
That’s the mystery. We know that it would have had more penetration. Even before the ricochet dents and bullet were found, I had thought the bullet came from a distance.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s the mystery. We know that it would have had more penetration. Even before the ricochet dents and bullet were found, I had thought the bullet came from a distance.
Guy down the street from me claimed to police that he shot at a prowler. No one had heard the shot, and they couldn't find any bullet holes in anything, so they thought he was making the whole thing up, for reasons unknown. Like two months later they find the bullet two yards over, exactly where the guy said it would be. It went through at least one fence and I think a shed or something.

Should be decently easy to find in this case though since you have the rough trajectory. It may have gone wonky though when it punched through the siding, so I wouldn't take that stick through the two holes as the gospel truth. It might be showing a much shallower angle. I don't know if it's possible that it actually kind of bounced the bullet up or not, but I certainly wouldn't rule that out. If there's a horizontal stud right below that hole, it could have even skipped off the stud.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guy down the street from me claimed to police that he shot at a prowler. No one had heard the shot, and they couldn't find any bullet holes in anything, so they thought he was making the whole thing up, for reasons unknown. Like two months later they find the bullet two yards over, exactly where the guy said it would be. It went through at least one fence and I think a shed or something.

Should be decently easy to find in this case though since you have the rough trajectory. It may have gone wonky though when it punched through the siding, so I wouldn't take that stick through the two holes as the gospel truth. It might be showing a much shallower angle. I don't know if it's possible that it actually kind of bounced the bullet up or not, but I certainly wouldn't rule that out. If there's a horizontal stud right below that hole, it could have even skipped off the stud.
The bullet was found.

Winchester is recalling 9mm ammo for the chance of it being under powdered resulting in low velocity. Possible this is one of the underpowered rounds.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen enough CSI and Dateline to know what questions to ask the police, so you forum people just sit down and take notes. From my vast knowledge, there truly is only one question to ask, "have you guys recovered any semen?" This could be a sexual crime, we don't know.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Ewwww.

killerpigeon

Native off the Reservation
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To catch the perpetrators of this heinous crime, I will leave no stone unturned, no secretion unswabbed. Yeah, I know, it's gross, but that's why some people call me a hero. I don't do it for the glory though. I DO IT FOR JUSTICE.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom