Is Your Gun a Weapon or a Talisman?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How often does one face a "violent attack"? I have not yet, and I am old. But I have been aware of my surroundiings, have made my weapon available, and have made certain I am ready to shoot to kill any assailant. Y'know what? If I miss...if I am killed or wounded...if I am not successful in removing my assailant...I will have tried. I will have been courageous. I will not have been a lame-brain who has a weapon but has not the will nor knowledge to use it.

I suppose your post struck me as being important in reminding all that a license to carry does not protect one on its own. But also it seemed elitist. We are in this together. The good, the clumsy, the prepared, the skilled, the practiced, all the individuals who either meet or do not rise to your criteria. We should take from you the necessity of preparedness, and ask of you that your requirements be extrapolated to instruct those 99% that, as of now, do not measure up.

Sorry, but "tried" and "have been" are not words I want to associate with defending my family, or myself. Being the father of three, I have a responsibility to live, to win and to destroy any and all attempts at violence against my family as a whole.

You may not be certain of the outcome of a fight, but you can know which side to bet on.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, we can either not have one, or we can keep it unloaded. That would be better....I won't drive to the store because I might have a car wreck.

I think his point was to tip the odds in your favor, not to not have a gun.

How much a gun, by itself, assists you is open for debate as there are extreme examples on both ends.

That said, high levels of skill and experience are desirable qualities in any endeavor from cooking to brain surgery, personal protection included.

The point of this thread is not to debate whether one should carry a gun; I would believe that answer is obvious.

The point is to get people thinking about their plan and potential difficulties in the realm of personal protection rather than just hoping for the best.

Michael Brown

bankbb1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, I frequently stand in front of a mirror and practice accessing my weapons, especially when I get something new. And I have to admit, I feel like a real ass everytime I do it and just hope no one walks in while I'm doing it. I think only way I could fell like a bigger ass is if I needed the weapon and had not spent all of that time practicing! Its called muscle memory and it only comes from repeated, correct movement. Practice also prepares the mind and the spirit for threat. It takes at least 1000 repitions for a movement to become natural. Oh yeah, we need the practice.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of folks more experienced than I, have said:

"Practice doesn't make perfect.....perfect practice makes perfect"

...I trust their experience.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I understand is practice is a must.I must make the time. I have Chosen to carry a Deadly weapon, I have Chosen to take the responsibility.Now my choice is made for me,I must Choose to train.As often and as much as I can. A deadly encounter is just that DEADLY.I choose to walk away when its done.Your Choice?

Serenity Bushcraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an idea of how I would measure up to a threat. It is based on many years of training and fighting. I have fired my gun in anger, defense and to preserve life and the American way. I have not however been faced with a one on one hostile threat......ever. I am no longer surrounded by true warriors. I am surrounded by desk bound sheep that talk tough. So my mindset is a little diffrent than it was just a few short years ago. I do train based on my knowledge of a hostile encounter not my precieved notion of how is this going to go down. You can never be 100% ready but i belive that if you have a strong will to survive a set of car keys can be a deadly weapon. The gun is just an easier way to gouge out your attackers eyes. I liked you post and it rang true to 99% of the guys on the range. So it is like life 1% protecting the 97% from the evil 2%. The classic sheep, sheep dog and wolf story..........
CHEERS.

Latest posts

Top Bottom