Issues with Shaw Homes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do have an exhaust fan in the bathroom? If you do, use it. It Looks like they used flat paint. I would repaint with at least eggshell, but preferably something with more gloss. The problem with glossy paint is it shows more defects in the tape and mudding. That’s one reason why builders use flat, the other is it’s cheaper and easier to paint.

Let me see where your window is leaking. We had windows leaking for years. When I repaired them after repairing tornado damage, I found the windows on the second floor were not flashed correctly and the builder didn’t tape and wrap with house wrap. If the builder doesn’t flash, tape and seal the windows with wrap, you will continually have leaks. The tape and flashing keeps the water on the outside of the house, and not the inside.

This is how you correctly flash a window and how i did mine.

I will take a picture of the window tomorrow. The first time it leaked it was like a water faucet was on. After the initial fix, it turned into just dry wall stains under the window after heavy rains. The last guy who came out couldn't even get the window sill off due to all the caulking. I'm not handy at all, but it blows my mind that its leaking after all the stuff they have tried. They are gonna water test this time (after I have suggested that the first 5-6 times) and hopefully find it.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like flat finish builders grade paint. See the spray marks from an airless pattern? The ‘sealed’ Sheetrock accepts and drys moisture at a different rate.
Is the pic of an open wall surface where a door would have been opened when sprayed with finish?
That open wall surface is supposed to be the ceiling, showing the tape lines, but it's a terrible picture.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Get something like incense and hold it next to the fart vent and see if it is drawing air. Also if there is no place to replace the drawn air ,like a space under the door a vent is useless. While checking for draw do it with door open and closed and see what is happening.
Next thing is repaint the bathroom with a quality paint with a semi gloss or eggshell sheen, flat paint in the kitchen and bathrooms is a no go. I would suggest Sherwin -Williams super paint , it is a good quality single coat paint that I use because it is easy to work with.(less drips)
Fart cans should be vented out side and sometimes the insulation guys will knock the hose off and then spray over the hole and clog the system.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More LOL, the whole house could be causing a vacuum as well, sometime the seal is to good and the house will not breath. Do your clothes dry well when running the dryer?

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The explanation they gave us was that the painters spray the trim before the drywall and once the moisture hits that area it darkens, but "it should go away once it dries"......they lied about that LOL. Its slowly just started staying dark around all the trim. We run the fan while we shower and leave it on after we get out.

My wife loved the fact that show had models of every home and I think that's what sold her on them. I was very apprehensive to use them but agreed. She finally admitted I was right after getting off the phone with the warranty guy this afternoon. He tried telling that the model homes were exactly the same fit and finish. He had no answer when she asked him if they would correct the issue before they showed the homes to people......it blew his mind when she told him that no one showers in the models so what do you expect?

The sales process with them was great, but the rest went down hill fast. EVERYTHING is an upgrade. They will custom build anything you want, if they have done it before. If they haven't, they charge a big ass fee to quote it, which pretty much ropes you into doing it. I'd sell this house today and not think twice about it. Don't check their google reviews though, they will all be 5 star.....That's because they gave people $10 starbuck gift cards to do review after touring the model home. Of Course, you're gonna have a good experience when you tour the model they are trying to sell you! They also have multiple reviews by employees...….

Ok, i'm done ranting.

Time to put on your ******* hat and tell them you are fixing to blow them up on all the social media areas, google, yelp Facebook and the BBB. Only so many things that can cause a window to leak and any builder worth their salt would have gone the extra mile to end this issue.
5-6 trips on 1 issue is redonkulous !! Can you post a pic from the exterior of the window ? Close up and the whole wall!
Water runs downhill this is not rocket science!!
I have also seen leaks on the roof show up in weird places so this could be a roof leak as well.

Last edited:

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
any builder worth their salt would have gone the extra mile to end this issue.

That’s where you lost most of the Tulsa area builders!! Nobody goes the extra mile, they skip a few miles in the process to save money

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
any builder worth their salt would have gone the extra mile to end this issue.

That’s where you lost most of the Tulsa area builders!! Nobody goes the extra mile, they skip a few miles in the process to save money

I have zero experience with Tulsa builders but I can say I can count on one hand the good ones I have dealt with in OKC!! Good builders are expensive and worth it!!

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Time to put on your ******* hat and tell them you are fixing to blow them up on all the social media areas, google, yelp Facebook and the BBB. Only so many things that can cause a window to leak and any builder worth their salt would have gone the extra mile to end this issue.
5-6 trips on 1 issue is redonkulous !! Can you post a pic from the exterior of the window ? Close up and the whole wall!
Water runs downhill this is not rocket science!!
I have also seen leaks on the roof show up in weird places so this could be a roof leak as well.

Roofer already came out to check, no dice there.

We live a few doors from a model home.....we will be telling every person we see to look elsewhere.

Ill post some pics tomorrow of the window.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me guess, Mark is your supervisor over at Shaw/Terry Davis.
STAY ON THEM AND DO NOT STOP UNTIL IT IS FIXED.
They may have to tear the sheetrock off the bathroom exterior wall and see if it is leaking.
Don’t relent. They will eventually fix it if you stay on them.
Put up a big sign in your yard WARNING/SHODDY CONSTRUCTION BY SHAW HOMES.
That will get their attention.
If they don’t correct your problems, if you make a sign for me, I’ll put one up in my yard but you will have to give me your info and pics of the problems so i can have facts to relay

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get something like incense and hold it next to the fart vent and see if it is drawing air. Also if there is no place to replace the drawn air ,like a space under the door a vent is useless. While checking for draw do it with door open and closed and see what is happening.
Next thing is repaint the bathroom with a quality paint with a semi gloss or eggshell sheen, flat paint in the kitchen and bathrooms is a no go. I would suggest Sherwin -Williams super paint , it is a good quality single coat paint that I use because it is easy to work with.(less drips)
Fart cans should be vented out side and sometimes the insulation guys will knock the hose off and then spray over the hole and clog the system.
Great advice! Also check to see if the vents end up in the attic. Most codes require the vents to go through the roof so as not to put excess moisture in the attic which will cause mildew and condensation in the tight built homes now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom