It appears that Rolls Royce North America will re-engine the B-52

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are working on a palletized cruise missile launcher, that can be used on cargo planes. One drop test has been done already, with a mass simulator and further tests are coming. A C-17 can carry a crap ton of JASSM-ERs. Edit: Link

Our Best Look Yet At 'Rapid Dragon' Cargo Plane-Launched Stealth Cruise Missiles In Action
They were talking about doing that with 747s many years ago, but as usual nothing ever came of it. That is our biggest military problem, to many committees, to many chiefs, and to many political types looking to make money off each project. Oh and I forgot, to many planners looking the the next big thing instead of incremental improvements. We could learn from the Russians and their SU-27, 30, 33, 35 aircraft.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They were talking about doing that with 747s many years ago, but as usual nothing ever came of it. That is our biggest military problem, to many committees, to many chiefs, and to many political types looking to make money off each project. Oh and I forgot, to many planners looking the the next big thing instead of incremental improvements. We could learn from the Russians and their SU-27, 30, 33, 35 aircraft.
I remember that, the Arsenal plane concept. They were mostly looking at nuke warheads for that though, this would be conventional. This one looks to be simple enough to actually get in production.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For projects they never did, I liked the B1R proposal to turn them in to big fighter bombers. They would have been great at SEAD missions and long range counter air. But then again I did read all those old Dale Brown books, it just might have prejudiced me towards souped up bombers.

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My father (now deceased) was an electronics engineer. He spent a 38-year career as a civilian contractor to the AirForce, working on the onboard computers on B-52s at Tinker AFB. He loved those big birds...

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea the Buff and Herkybird are 2 of the best aircraft ever designed and the C-130 is the only one we have kept in production while doing serious updates on. It is still being copied to this day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom