Italian Beretta 92s - Police Trade In

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I really started kicking actually pulling the trigger on a Beretta, but didn't have funding for a new model, these were strongly in the running. They were $275-300 at the time. I got funds for a new one (now have four of the damn things), but have yet to acquire a 92S. Heard plenty of good things about them, not a bad gig for a historic piece.

I’m of the same cloth here. I have one I bought new a couple of years ago, and really enjoy it. A bit to large for me to carry often, but it gets to the range quite often. I’ve been getting the emails from PSA, Grabagun, etc advertising these trade-ins and have been thinking it might be fun to have one and refurbish it a bit. Certainly not something I need, but looking at projects for the current “house arrest” situations and these emails generated some thoughts.

spence

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
IIRC, some later 92 models are ambidextrous safety-wise. The mag release (I think?) is always on the left side though.

The 92S was designed for righties.
:drunk2:

I about shoved my foot in my mouth, absolutely spaced out we were talking the S model with the heel mag release. With a typical FS model, I don't have too much trouble dropping the mag with my index finger. Releasing the slide is another story since I use the slide release when shooting strong handed. It's not in a conducive spot to hit with the left index finger.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IIRC, some later 92 models are ambidextrous safety-wise. The mag release (I think?) is always on the left side though.

The 92S was designed for righties.
:drunk2:
The mag release on the Model 92, beginning with the 92FS (maybe even the 92F), is reversible without tools. The 92S mag release is already ambidextrous, being a heel release and all. The Model 92 has had an ambidextrous safety or decocker since the 92F; the 92S is unique among the 92s with a slide-mounted safety or decocker insofar as its safety is not ambi.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The mag release on the Model 92, beginning with the 92FS (maybe even the 92F), is reversible without tools. The 92S mag release is already ambidextrous, being a heel release and all. The Model 92 has had an ambidextrous safety or decocker since the 92F; the 92S is unique among the 92s with a slide-mounted safety or decocker insofar as its safety is not ambi.
Good to know, thanks. :thumb:

Ha! I hadn't even considered the heel release as being ambidextrous, but since it requires both hands (unless you're a contortionist), it obviously is.
:hithead:

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The finish quality varies from almost new to roached. My 92s had some handling wear on the backstrap and around the magwell. Otherwise it was in great shape. The ones with poor finish could be had for around $150, I haven't seen any of those in a while. I wish I had bought up a few of them when they were available. If you buy one, you should plan on changing out springs. The recoil spring on mine was very weak. Otherwise, It's an excellent firearm. The heel mag release is different, but I think it would be better than a thumb release when one is used to it. The heel release requires you to move your support hand, but you can keep you firing hand in position.

Latest posts

Top Bottom