1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Item Relisted! Going to start learning to reload

Discussion in 'Trash Pile' started by cdschoonie, Dec 6, 2017.

1. cdschoonie

cdschoonie Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Item has been relisted, you can find the new listing at: https://www.okshooters.com/threads/going-to-start-learning-to-reload.252585/
    Item Name: Going to start learning to reload

Zip Code: 73750

Item is for: Sale/Trade NOT SPECIFIED

Caliber: WTB

Willing to Ship: Yes

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: I am wanting get started in reloading, I will start slow with Shotshell, then work my way up. Looking to by manuals, press, shotshells, wads, etc., plus will start collecting .45 acp, 300 win mag, 7mm rem mag, 243, 7.62 (308), 5.56 (223), and 22/250 brass, and 12 gauge shells
    DISCLAIMER: Always comply with local, state, federal, and international law. OKShooters.com does not become involved in transactions between parties. Review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more information.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  2. Pokinfun

Pokinfun The Most Interesting Man in the World

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Reloading is a lot of fun.

cdschoonie likes this.
  3. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Thats a start. Reloading is an activity initially meant to save money. What actually happens is that the more you load, the more you shoot and it never stops.

4. D. Hargrove

D. Hargrove Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    AWESOME..... Some of my most relaxing nights have been spent at the reloading bench. Good on ya!!

dennishoddy, Pokinfun and cdschoonie like this.
  5. cdschoonie

cdschoonie Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    This is exactly why I want to learn the craft, for some "me" time.

dennishoddy and D. Hargrove like this.
  6. bluegrassZ71

bluegrassZ71 Marksman

Rating
    100%
    How many shells do you plan to load and for what discipline? I would recommend a MEC because they are easy to find used, easy to operate, and they have great customer service.

For components, check out Rick's Shooting Supplies. He is based in Ponca City but travels around to the different gun clubs in the state.

Do you have hulls to reload? If not, and you get over to the Tulsa area, I'll fix you up with a variety so you can see what you like.

As far as load manuals, Hogdon and Alliant have loads online so I would skip the load book and put it toward your press or components.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    dennishoddy and D. Hargrove like this.
  7. okietool

okietool Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I would suggest picking out one shotgun hull ( for each gauge) and just have one load for it. One particular hull, same powder, same wad, same primer and same amount of shot.

dennishoddy likes this.
  8. cdschoonie

cdschoonie Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I will be loading for 80% and 20% practice and clays. I do not have hulls no, I will start now collecting. It will be a while before I start rifle and pistol loading, but actually started collecting tonight. Made our first visit to H&H, had a blast and picked up a 2 gallon bucket of brass.

dennishoddy likes this.
  9. bluegrassZ71

bluegrassZ71 Marksman

Rating
    100%
    I don't know what those quantities will look like for you but if you will only plan to load a couple boxes here and there I would look for a used MEC 600 or Sizemaster. If you plan to load a lot, I would look for a used MEC 650 or Grabber. I have seen 600s going for $50-75 and 650s going for $100-150. There are deals to be had...just watch this site, Craigslist, eBay, etc. To give you an idea of volume, if I am hoofing it on my Sizemaster I can load 4-5 boxes per hour. If I am hoofing it on my 650 I can load a flat (10 boxes) in an hour.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cdschoonie likes this.
  10. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    It takes more time than some of the more expensive loaders, but look at this if you're only going to shoot 10 or so boxes of shells a year, the Lee load all shotshell loader.
    $50 bucks or so and it has all the shot and powder cups for 90% of the loads one could ever shoot.
    I started shotshell shooting with one of the Lee Load all's, and have progressed to the RCBS Grand that pumps out hundreds of rounds per hour, but in circumstances where I just want to load a few speciality loads, I go back to the Load-all.
    It's a great unit for a low price.

cdschoonie likes this.