1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Item Relisted! Help for those handicapped people who are interested.

Discussion in 'Trash Pile' started by NightShade, Mar 12, 2018.

1. NightShade

NightShade Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Item has been relisted, you can find the new listing at: https://www.okshooters.com/threads/help-for-those-handicapped-people-who-are-interested.259178/
    Item Name: Help for those handicapped people who are interested.

Zip Code: 73044

Item is for: Sale/Trade NOT SPECIFIED

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: So I previously posted at one point that I made a seat to extend the toilet for my Mother in law and I recently had to make another for my wife to use. I would like to offer my assistance for anyone else in the area to set something up for them as well.

I am going to post what I recently made for my wife, it is pretty much the minimal height that can be made and it raises the seat up about 3 inches in total but the big advantage is that it gives a much larger platform which I have found to be useful for people who are using power chairs or have limited mobility.

Basically I will come over and work some measurements out, someone who does not have leg usage and keep their feet on a footrest of a power chair or want to scoot straight over will need something higher than someone who just needs a little extra height and platform.

All I ask is a couple bucks for gas and the materials. I am giving my time for free to do this and have most of the tools needed to get the work done. This is an open offer for ANYONE who would like one.

[​IMG]

The materials are as follows:

A piece of plywood or MDF that is large enough to cover the area desired, the is generally a minimum of 20 inches X 30 inches. A piece of 3/4 inch furniture grade plywood that is 24" X 48" is about 15.00 at lowes or home depot. I would recommend not using a rough product unless you are going to sand and paint it which should be done before I start working on it. What I used on the pictured seat is a 3/4 MDF with a Melamine (plastic) coating which is about 27.00 for a 49X96 inch sheet at Lowes so if you need a couple made that is the way to go.

Two 2X4 studs, if they are twisted and rough it will look bad and be harder to work with.

Some screws, I mainly use 1.25 inch and 2.5 inch screws, though a taller seat will possibly take 4 inch screws. The decking screws that are ceramic coated are what I used recently as they will not be as likely to rust as sheetrock screws.

A toilet seat. The one I used below does not have a lid but if you want one it's fine. The ones with the split in the front is best for people with limited mobility and that is part of the reason why the added height is also an advantage as it gives more room to reach and clean. The seat can be plastic but it needs to be solid and a decent thickness as I will be attaching it with screws.

A couple carriage bolts. I use these to attach the whole "seat" to the toilet. They should be the same size as a standard toilet seat diameter as I tend to just use the supplied nylon nuts that came with the toilet seat. The length will depend on the height, 4 inches is minimum and the taller the seat is made the longer the bolt will have to be. You can not see them in the picture as they are actually under the seat. That is because most seats have issues being attached with the carriage bolts.

Some sandpaper and paint or polyurethane. I will leave sanding edges and painting up to you. If you start with something smooth there will be little to deal with as far as sanding and using the melamine coated MDF the only paint is the exposed edges.

You are welcome to pick up the materials on your own or I can provide them and be reimbursed for what I use on your project. I am not doing this to make a profit so again all I am asking for is material and travel reimbursement.

If anyone wants to do this themselves for a family member of friend I can take some pictures as well as help you work out the details for your build.

Pictures:
    [​IMG]
    DISCLAIMER: Always comply with local, state, federal, and international law. OKShooters.com does not become involved in transactions between parties. Review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more information.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  2. skyhawk1

skyhawk1 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Great of you to offer this!

3. NightShade

NightShade Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    It's not hard to do, takes a little planning and a couple hours of time. Just need to pick up a jigsaw that will fit my batteries. The last one I did was not ideal but turned out ok after sanding things down to make the cutout where the seat sits.

Catt57 likes this.
  4. surjimmy

surjimmy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Very nice and kind of you.

5. dlmcm

dlmcm Retired & Enjoying Life!

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Good man!