It's Happening!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are going to rent, if we can find something, for the first 6 months or so. We are particular on what we want and jsut don't want to go out and buy something just to have a house. Also, maybe the real estate market will soften a bit in our favor. In the end we may end up buying land and then building our dream home.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, we made it to Sapulpa last evening about 8pmpm. We left Costa Mesa at 3:30am on Friday morning. We drove my truck and trailer with a combined weight of nearly 20K lbs the 715 miles to Grants, NM and stayed the night. That was a rough drive? Grants is just about exactly the halfway point of the trip. What would normally be about an 11 hour trip took approx 17 hours. The CA and AZ roads are horrendous and are not friendly for cargo/utility/RV type of trailers. I kept the speed to about 65MP max but really was 55-63 mph. I'm well versed in long drives and do well but with the rough roads and huge amount of construction zones, it was very draining. We were stopped on I-40 in Flagstaff for 2.5 hours due to construction and just over an hour outside of Grants for the same. We then got up and were on the road out of Grants, NM by 5:30am. Our next night was to be in Elk City for Stop #2. With the Interstate in NM and OK very well maintained and smooth and me pushing close to 68mph we were at Elk City by about 3:45-4pm and decided we would push on and get to Sapulpa. It was a great decision. The roads were clear and smooth for the most part (OKC Metro area are terrible). Were very luck in my opinion that we had no blowouts with our tires or any other issues. We stopped of Fuel at a truck stop somewhere West of Weatherford and noticed a guy with a nice 20' enclosed trailer with the front left wheel/tire missing. Two guys were milling about on their phones around the trailer. After I fueled up I pulled next to them and askedif I could help. He said they are towing their race car back to AZ and shredded three of their four tires at the same time. Had it been just one tire issues i would have given them one of my three spare tires and asked them to pay it forward. However, givingn them one would have done them no good as far as getting them back on the road. Unfortunately for them this all happed just before 4 pm and by the time the go situated near the truck stop it was 5pm and all tire shops were closed, all local walmarts didn't have stock and they were quickly running out of options for replacement tires. I felt terrible for them.

Going to unload the trailer into a storge unit tomorrow and get my truck registered in OK. Have a meeting with the Tulsa District Sales Manager for the company I work for and go look at a rental house on Tuesday afternoon. I'm exhausted. Time for bed.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, we made it to Sapulpa last evening about 8pmpm. We left Costa Mesa at 3:30am on Friday morning. We drove my truck and trailer with a combined weight of nearly 20K lbs the 715 miles to Grants, NM and stayed the night. That was a rough drive? Grants is just about exactly the halfway point of the trip. What would normally be about an 11 hour trip took approx 17 hours. The CA and AZ roads are horrendous and are not friendly for cargo/utility/RV type of trailers. I kept the speed to about 65MP max but really was 55-63 mph. I'm well versed in long drives and do well but with the rough roads and huge amount of construction zones, it was very draining. We were stopped on I-40 in Flagstaff for 2.5 hours due to construction and just over an hour outside of Grants for the same. We then got up and were on the road out of Grants, NM by 5:30am. Our next night was to be in Elk City for Stop #2. With the Interstate in NM and OK very well maintained and smooth and me pushing close to 68mph we were at Elk City by about 3:45-4pm and decided we would push on and get to Sapulpa. It was a great decision. The roads were clear and smooth for the most part (OKC Metro area are terrible). Were very luck in my opinion that we had no blowouts with our tires or any other issues. We stopped of Fuel at a truck stop somewhere West of Weatherford and noticed a guy with a nice 20' enclosed trailer with the front left wheel/tire missing. Two guys were milling about on their phones around the trailer. After I fueled up I pulled next to them and askedif I could help. He said they are towing their race car back to AZ and shredded three of their four tires at the same time. Had it been just one tire issues i would have given them one of my three spare tires and asked them to pay it forward. However, givingn them one would have done them no good as far as getting them back on the road. Unfortunately for them this all happed just before 4 pm and by the time the go situated near the truck stop it was 5pm and all tire shops were closed, all local walmarts didn't have stock and they were quickly running out of options for replacement tires. I felt terrible for them.

Going to unload the trailer into a storge unit tomorrow and get my truck registered in OK. Have a meeting with the Tulsa District Sales Manager for the company I work for and go look at a rental house on Tuesday afternoon. I'm exhausted. Time for bed.
Glad you had safe travels.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been one hell of a week!!

Been extremely busy. Got into Tulsa last Saturday evening. On Sunday had to unload some of the important items out of our cargo trailer that couldn't go into storage due to heat and humidity. Tood awhile as there were not easy to get to in the trailer. Woke up monday morning and got my 2015 Ram 2500 registered in Oklahoma. Cost to register this truck was $120. My CA registration expired at the end of May and CA wanted $571. Nope! No thank you. Saved a bunch of money. At 10am i went and paid for and then off loaded the full trailers contents into a 10x30 storage unit. At 3pm we went to a nice neighborhood in Sapulpa and toured a brand new rental house with a big yard and huge garage, 3 bed 2 bath house. Locked that in and should be in it by the end of August. Tuesday morning I had a meeting with the Tulsa District Sales Manager for about an hour and a half. Went very well. THen met with one of the Tulsa branch managers at another location. That went great too. Wife and son had freshman orientation at OSU all day Tuesday. Wednesday we drove around Bristow area and looked at several properties for sale. Nice places but don't want to pull the trigger on them just yet as we may jsut wait until we are in OK permanently and restart the search for places to purchase at that time. Thursday I had a meeting with the District Manager who makes the ultimate hiring decisions for my transfer and that meeting was fantastic. 99.9% sure they have a management position for me starting week after labor day but his HR manager for the region and him have to get creative with compensation, etc. I should have final confirmation later next week. Fingers crossed. Left this morning towing our trailer back to CA and drove the 960 miles and made it to Flagstaff this evening. Took about 16 hours. Now have about 400 miles tomorrow until back at home tomorrow. I'm exhausted!!!! Anyway. Will be back out in OK in about three weeks to drop my son off at OSU then come home and pack the rest of our junk up and head out of town by about August 24th or so. Good night!

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know, I know. This tread keep coming back to life. Give it another month with some updates and it will fade away.

So, one of the biggest updates so far. Super excited that I have confirmed my employment/transfer within the company I've worked for for 18 years. I really gotta hand it to the District Manager for getting creative to get my on his team. It has been very stressful the last month as my transfer was the final piece of the puzzel to make this whole move a complete success. There were really no positions open during this whole time. I'll have a unique position that I'm looking forward to but it will be a 90 mile commute each way for work. It sounds like a lot and really is a lot of driving but i drive that many miles every day in my current sales role. Anyways, super excited and happy that fell into place.

Next is my son drive out to OK end of next week with our neighbor coed who is also attending OSU. We have a quick trip to Stillwater on the 11th to move him into his dorm and then we pack up and will be hauling the rest of our chit to OK for the final time on or about the 22nd.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know, I know. This tread keep coming back to life. Give it another month with some updates and it will fade away.

So, one of the biggest updates so far. Super excited that I have confirmed my employment/transfer within the company I've worked for for 18 years. I really gotta hand it to the District Manager for getting creative to get my on his team. It has been very stressful the last month as my transfer was the final piece of the puzzel to make this whole move a complete success. There were really no positions open during this whole time. I'll have a unique position that I'm looking forward to but it will be a 90 mile commute each way for work. It sounds like a lot and really is a lot of driving but i drive that many miles every day in my current sales role. Anyways, super excited and happy that fell into place.

Next is my son drive out to OK end of next week with our neighbor coed who is also attending OSU. We have a quick trip to Stillwater on the 11th to move him into his dorm and then we pack up and will be hauling the rest of our chit to OK for the final time on or about the 22nd.
Congrats. Good to hear that it is all finally coming together.

Latest posts

Top Bottom