It's The Little Things

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I had steady enough hands for that type of delicate work. I've been watching a lot of watch repair videos on YouTube lately. Looks like a fun hobby, not that I need another money pit in my life though.
I have mild carpel tunnel from swinging a hammer framing houses and years of other abuses as well . My hands have more shake than steady..... patience is what it is building lol.
Lot of cheap watches out there to clean and service, and as a hobby it is way cheaper than my gun habit ! 🤣

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't speak of the skirt issue, but the wife stated that it was a dang good thing that we did that trip when we did instead of during cold weather.
That's why we did the South and West Rim in Febuary. The North rim was about a foot deep in snow. We had a perfect day with temps in the high 60's and zero wind. Absolutely beautiful day. We walked many miles and took lots of phone pics. I've read that 60 people have died by falls from the edge by various reasons. We saw people doing absolutely stupid stunts right on the edge of cliffs like standing on their head a foot away or sitting with legs hanging over.
Guy in the second pic was doing the head stand on the lower lip from where he was standing.
Fourth pic is of a california condor in flight.

Falls from the Ledge (60)​

Most people who ask “how many people have died in the Grand Canyon?” are actually asking “how many people have died by falling from the ledge of the canyon?” The answer is about 65 (including recent years).

People have fallen from the ledge while

• taking selfies
  • horsing around
  • being drunk
  • urinating into the canyon
  • standing up from having just sat on the edge of the canyon (dizziness seems to be the main cause here).
DC6C26EB-38F2-4978-A362-C29C25B34A2F.jpeg
3E99F44B-D1E0-4290-B0E0-18B520CC1B81.jpeg
59D18DE3-E154-407B-8F43-29648155AC38.jpeg
8696B7A4-1DEC-4E0B-B008-D5B30645C314.jpeg
7D78EDAE-28DF-4564-8D1F-469E931B790C.jpeg

DAF71A42-4F11-46FA-B33A-FDD1C899A097.jpeg

Last edited:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nobody has been kicked off a mule? Skydiver? Base jumper? Rappeled down and ran out of rope? Helicopter crash?
I once dismounted a $40 mule (intentionally, onto the corral fence) when he started bucking without a crupper. Didn't really figure it was a good idea to wait until the saddle was up by his ears. :D

However... given your other examples, we may have different opinions on what "The Little Things" are... :shocked:
___

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I once dismounted a $40 mule (intentionally, onto the corral fence) when he started bucking without a crupper. Didn't really figure it was a good idea to wait until the saddle was up by his ears. :D

However... given your other examples, we may have different opinions on what "The Little Things" are... :shocked:
___
I’ve had some of those $40 mules, and I was more than happy to sell them for a loss.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's why we did the South and West Rim in Febuary. The North rim was about a foot deep in snow. We had a perfect day with temps in the high 60's and zero wind. Absolutely beautiful day. We walked many miles and took lots of phone pics. I've read that 60 people have died by falls from the edge by various reasons. We saw people doing absolutely stupid stunts right on the edge of cliffs like standing on their head a foot away or sitting with legs hanging over.
Guy in the second pic was doing the head stand on the lower lip from where he was standing.
Fourth pic is of a california condor in flight.

Falls from the Ledge (60)​

Most people who ask “how many people have died in the Grand Canyon?” are actually asking “how many people have died by falling from the ledge of the canyon?” The answer is about 65 (including recent years).

People have fallen from the ledge while

• taking selfies
  • horsing around
  • being drunk
  • urinating into the canyon
  • standing up from having just sat on the edge of the canyon (dizziness seems to be the main cause here).
View attachment 262817View attachment 262818View attachment 262819View attachment 262821View attachment 262822
View attachment 262820

Good pictures, Dennis. With regards to your reference to the "west rim," is that the area where the tribe has the glass walkway out over the canyon? If so, that is one that I just flat out refused to go on. Not that I would be afraid of being on the walkway, but that the tribe doesn't (or at least, didn't at the time) allow one to take a camera out on the walkway.

We did experience an event of someone "close" to the edge of the camera, although not really that close. A couple had their wedding at the Canyon near the Desert View Watch Tower. They were out towards the edge getting their photos taken when I saw them, so I got a few of them from where I stood. A lady nearby noticed a couple of us taking pictures of the couple and asked us if we could send her copies of our pictures.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talking with my buddy, this morning.
He tells me, yesterday he picked his 11 yo granddaughter up from school. She wanted something at Five Below and he was getting it for her.

Five Below is next door to Academy. He goes to Academy to check out a treadmill. His jeans are getting, with retirement.
He picks out a treadmill and goes to the register. Cashier rings it up.
His granddaughter says, "Papa, that sure is a lot of money for something you will use maybe twice."
The cashier fell down laughing.

He still took her to Five Below.

Latest posts

Top Bottom