It's time to die...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As opposed to HAHO: High Altitude, High Opening ...allows you to "fly" your chute towards the objective; gives you somewhat of an offset to your desired drop zone so the bad guys don't know where you are going to land. As if they could see you at night anyway. Both HALO and HAHO have advantages and disadvantages in terms of being a means of insertion, They are just a couple of the many different ways to "get to work".

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I heard you never shoot the first crow that shows up to the food plot.
He is the scout.. he looks too see if the coast is clear then calls in his buddies if he finds it safe.

Shoot one of the buddies not the scout.
The other crows will kill the scout for signaling the safe call when it was not safe.

Is that true??
And is this where killing 2 birds with 1 stone comes into play.
I’ve always heard, shoot the first one or no others show up. I’ve missed the first before and none show up after.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Caught this guy cruising a fence row, and after a follow through with a 15 foot lead and squeezing the trigger, he crumpled at 82 yards! And yes, I measured the distance with two different range finders.

Load was a 12 ga. 1 1/8 oz. lead load of copper plated #5 @ 1,562 fps..

20191031_120143.jpg

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Caught this guy cruising a fence row, and after a follow through with a 15 foot lead and squeezing the trigger, he crumpled at 82 yards! And yes, I measured the distance with two different range finders.

Load was a 12 ga. 1 1/8 oz. lead load of copper plated #5 @ 1,562 fps..

View attachment 145752
Nice!!! Ive shot about 10-12 times guarding pecans from the crows last week or so. Ive downed 2 at about same range of 70-75 yds. I probably had lots of luck using a skeet choke with 12 ga. 1 oz. of lead 8 shot.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing a couple Excedrin Headache Relief won't fix.
I tried, but he was just too far gone, and beyond any help!

Magna19 - I have been learning the art of long range shot gunning from several guys in the UK, and some of the shots that they make are almost mind boggling! When they go on pheasant drives, they are not allowed to shoot any bird that is 40 yards or less! One of the estates in Wales does not allow birds to be shot less than 60 yards, and they still manage to kill a LOT of birds! I watched literally dozens of pheasants and partridges shot out to and in excess of 90 yards, and they were dead before they hit the ground!

One of the gentleman shooters shot 10 out of 10 clay pigeons at 90 yards, with a couple of shots out as far as 110 yards, with 10 to 15 mph winds. Most awesome shooting I have ever seen in my life!

And besides all of the excellent shooting, everyone was shooting factory ammo, as reloads are not allowed. Loads ranged from 1 1/8 oz. to 1 3/16 oz. of hard and polished #5 or #4 lead shot with an average velocity 1,520 fps..

I tried to copy their factory loads, and the best I have came up with is copper plated #5 or #4 lead shot.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And besides all of the excellent shooting, everyone was shooting factory ammo, as reloads are not allowed. Loads ranged from 1 1/8 oz. to 1 3/16 oz. of hard and polished #5 or #4 lead shot with an average velocity 1,520 fps..

I tried to copy their factory loads, and the best I have came up with is copper plated #5 or #4 lead shot.

I have a RCBS Grand Shotshell progressive reloader. The best velocity I've got from factory recommended reloads that stays in safe pressures is 1500 fps. Haven't tried to go above that because the recoil is brutal in the 6.7 lb Citori. Borrowed one of the magnetospeed chronographs to get that total.
Back when Pheasant hunting every weekend, the late season birds flushed in front of the dogs out of range of most factory loads, so like you said, the HV loads of large shot with tight chokes were the ticket.
Wondering what factory ammo is going to produce 1,520? I'd buy some.
I know the europeans shoot different stuff than we do. My european 16 ga shells are 2 1/2" vs 2 3/4" in the US.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis,

the ammo the long range bird hunters are using is European from Game Bore. 1 1/8 oz. loads are 1,520 fps. and 1 oz. loads are 1,525 fps.

This is the load I am using, straight from Hodgdon -

HULL: 12 ga. 2 3/4" Federal Gold Medal

PRIMER: Winchester 209

POWDER: Longshot / 37.0 grains

WAD: Federal 12S3

SHOT: 1 1/8 oz. copper plated #5, #4 or a #2 magnum lead

OVERSHOT CARD: one 16 ga. ga. card for more perfect crimps

PRESSURE: 9,700 psi

VELOCITY: measured @ 3 ft. from muzzle from my Remington 870 with a 34" Hastings Wadlock barrel is 1,562 fps.

Velocity measured from my Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon I Sporting Model with 32 " barrels is 1,545 fps.

These birds were killed with my Beretta using the above mentioned load with copper plated #4 shot. This was from a European pheasant shoot with no shot taken less than 60 yards. These were just the birds I killed.

CSR5_zpsbxjr27xe-1.jpg

Attachments

• CSR5_zpsbxjr27xe-1.jpg
    CSR5_zpsbxjr27xe-1.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 254

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried, but he was just too far gone, and beyond any help!

Magna19 - I have been learning the art of long range shot gunning from several guys in the UK, and some of the shots that they make are almost mind boggling! When they go on pheasant drives, they are not allowed to shoot any bird that is 40 yards or less! One of the estates in Wales does not allow birds to be shot less than 60 yards, and they still manage to kill a LOT of birds! I watched literally dozens of pheasants and partridges shot out to and in excess of 90 yards, and they were dead before they hit the ground!

One of the gentleman shooters shot 10 out of 10 clay pigeons at 90 yards, with a couple of shots out as far as 110 yards, with 10 to 15 mph winds. Most awesome shooting I have ever seen in my life!

That is great shooting for sure!!! Those loads/shot/choke are too much for the area near me. Im shooting skeet choke with light loads for a reason.

Latest posts

Top Bottom