It's worse than we thought

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, this kind of video is good for entertainment, but that’s about it. I remember seeing an interview with Pat Sajak back in the day, and the interviewer asked him about people vapor locking and missing simple solutions. He said something to the effect of solving the puzzles being simple while you’re sitting in your easy chair, but when you threw in the lights, cameras, and studio audience, it suddenly wasn’t easy at all.

I’ve heard people (with whom I generally agree) say some really dumb things, and it wasn’t because they’re stupid or their generation is completely useless—it was just because they flubbed what they intended to say, and just happened to be saying it into a microphone.
Sure, they may have interviewed 50 people to find 5 that come across as really stupid. They could look stupid because they lock up under pressure, etc.
But these are pretty basic questions; how many states are there? How many items in a dozen? That's at the level of being able to tell time, basic societal functioning stuff.
Would you want these people on your jury?

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure, they may have interviewed 50 people to find 5 that come across as really stupid. They could look stupid because they lock up under pressure, etc.
But these are pretty basic questions; how many states are there? How many items in a dozen? That's at the level of being able to tell time, basic societal functioning stuff.
The Jury I was on in Feb had someone like that. She was clueless a person could own a gun without being a police officer let alone carry in Oklahoma. Everyone else was facepalming when she immediately went in saying he was guilty because he had a gun...

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe they were having a bad day when it comes to thinking, maybe they had something else on their mind and didn’t give the answer they actually knew (been there, done that, got the t-shirt and the coffee mug), maybe they’re just poorly educated. The point is that those videos really only give you an incomplete picture of the individuals being asked the questions. They don’t even give you any data from which to draw accurate conclusions about them, let alone about any group.

When you watch those videos and think how screwed we are, remember that people like to run down Millennials, but most of our GWOT veterans, including quite a few Medal of Honor recipients, are Millennials.

In short, just watch the videos and be entertained. Don’t read too much into them.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW, if you randomly ask me who fought in the civil war, I’m just ask likely to say the Cavaliers and the Roundheads. The US isn’t the only country that’s fought a civil war…

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bet Christian morels taste really good saute'ed in butter. And some folks will decide you are as stupid and ill-informed as the yucks in the video. Morels are a form of mushroom. Morals are supposedly what separates us from the animals. Most likely, you just tangled your fingers while typing, and typo'ed it. Nope. I'm not perfect either. I've just noticed an increased tendency to typo when I'm in a rush, so now I try to spellcheck again, and again, before I hit "post reply."
Inane comment, Shallow analysis. Life is good.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes, just sometimes the auto dictate doesn’t correctly annotate. Happens to me a quite a bit.
I spent more time fixing autodictate flubs than I did dictating. Gave it up for a lost cause. Might work better now that I'm not in noisy industrial environment, but then I'd have to dig out the microphone and hook it up. Nope, not today! ;)

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You’re callously criticizing the remarks from the person with the most accurate assessment of the miserable results produced by most of our country’s public education systems.
Nope. I'm sympathizing. And I've been part of the public education system. Ten years working on getting educated to teach, less than three years actually teaching full time, and a few more subbing while trying to rescue a failing teaching career. And finally realizing that there was no point in continuing. The system is broken so bad that it needs to be scrapped. The focus seems to be on getting people who do not need and will not profit from a college degree to get ready for college. We need more mechanics, and machinists, and engineers, and plumbers and such, and fewer computer data entry people, businessmen, and education majors.

Bill

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BTW, if you randomly ask me who fought in the civil war, I’m just ask likely to say the Cavaliers and the Roundheads. The US isn’t the only country that’s fought a civil war…

So are you in England, or the USA? Having been called a damnyankee when I'm from the south, (admittedly, Southern California) I'm pretty sure most Americans default to our Civil War, or War of Northern Aggression. And I've got family who were on both sides, and others who got here long after that one was over.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of gives one the idea of what a high school diploma is worth these days. These are the people that will march and demonstrate for anything.

Latest posts

Top Bottom