I've been watching these videos about Fred Dibnah a steeplejack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a series of old videos I guess from a BBC documentary. They are about this fellow that cleans, repairs and demolishes 100 + ft tall chimneys, churches, blacksmiths, and repairs and drives old steam engines. It's really interesting to see how the guy and his family lived and worked and played together. The guy chain smokes but can climb a chimney on a ladder like a squirrel climbs a tree. Especially after a few "pints"

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, that was interesting. OSHA in the US wouldn’t allow that now.
It’s an interesting process watching them build the stacks starting from the ground and going up.
Watched both of the 500’ stacks going up at Sooner power plant South of Ponca. Double wall construction. The inner wall is laid fire brick, one brick at a time, the outer wall is poured concrete.
The environmental instruments I was charged with monitoring and calibrating at the top and midway were attached to the inner wall which didn’t sway in the wind. The outer wall swayed considerably which resulted in an optical illusion that seemed the probes, etc were actually swinging which actually wasn’t happening. Took a bit to get used to.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope.gif

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm surprised he could even climb the ladders with those huge brass balls!

I started watching him in a video where he was at the top of a very tall chimney and putting up scaffolding.

First of all, I'm not in shape enough to climb the ladder, never mind build the scaffolding and work on it.

Yeah, I'm half chicken at times.

Latest posts

Top Bottom