J frame carry ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried to move from hammer fired guns to the striker fired ones but recently decided that wasn't me. I went to my safe and pulled out my stash. One of the safe queens was a j frame and I looked at the ammo I had left for it and began a search for new carry ammo. After watching many ballistics videos I ordered some and test fired it yesterday. Previously, my choice was Speer Short barrel but you can't always find it and I'm down to a box and half of it now. I've made my choice and ordered enough this morning to last me. I'm interested.in what the people that carry lightweight J frames carry in them. I shoot a couple of cylinders full each time I shoot my SIGs, about biweekly. What's everyone carrying and do you shoot it or just carry it?

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The first one listed is my choice also. Most wadcutters get about 850 fps in a 4 inch bbl. The chronograph reports I saw showed the Underwood Black Cherry load at almost that in a sub 2 inch barrel. The ones I shot yesterday wete head shot accurate out to at least 12 yards and recoil was on par with the Gold Dots I shot.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I usually go with the speer GD short barrel 124 gr also. I have a couple older snubs that dont like the +p so I carry and shoot speer lawman standard pressure in those. Ive also liked remington golden saber, and federal personal defense in 120 gr.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I've been carrying short barrel gold dot for years but just listened to a podcast and ordered some wadcutters developed specifically for snubs by Georia Arms. They did extensive testing and determined that most rounds do not expand when fired from a snub but good penetration is a must. The Off Duty On Duty podcast episode 96 for some good discussion about it. Cost me $65 shipped for 40 rounds. Going to H&H sometime next week to see where they hit out of my 340 M&P and 642 if you're around and want to go.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Underwood’s wadcutter is good stuff but it’s for 4 legged critters. Way too much recoil in an Airweight snub. Mild target type loads are what you want. I carry the Speer short barrel stuff in a speed strip for a reload after the wadcutters are gone because loading wadcutters is a PITA when the clock is running.

The Speer is a stout load and not fun to shoot in an airweight. They’re fine in a steel gun but probably won’t expand so I don’t see the point. I’ll take wadcutters every time if I have the choice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom