J frame carry ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
That's what I say about my Karh 9mm, and my little Seecamp!...... But Wait!.... That's not all..... They both hold 7!!!
Yep. For me I’ve found a snub comes out of the pocket so much easier. I used to have a .380 Seecamp, talk about a knuckle buster, that thing hurt to shoot. Carried a PM9 for a long time and it was a close second to the snub for me.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite grips for a snub are the Crimson Trace model 405's. They have a little air pocket right at the top of the backstrap that makes a snub more comfortable to shoot and still small enough not to restrict pocket carry.
I like the CT 405s as well but they are just too small for my big 80 year old arthritic hands to handle. I used them years ago and now they are on my wife's 442 bedside gun for when I'm gone on fishing trips.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a pocket pistol I have a nice 1849 Colt baby Dragoon. I had to quit carrying it because all the dogs would come sniff my right pocket due to the bacon grease over the . 31 cal balls.
As for short 38s, I really don't know think it matters much of what is in it as long as it has some weight and the best velocity you can get. The old Treasury load of a 158 Semi Wadcutter hollow point +p seemed to work as good as anything, but none of them are a what I would consider good, but as pointed out, far better than the pistol back at the house!!!

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Low capacity, lightweight, and easy to conceal pistols have always been a popular choice.

I don't know about all this recoil yall speak of. I ain't making fun, maybe I just don't notice it. I don't think my Alaskan recoils either, but it is a much heavier weapon, but still full house .44 mag it handles really well.
Regardless, golddots, underwood ammo, most any premium hollow point or wadcutter will get the job done.

The recoil from a 357 or 38+P load from a 13oz revolver is pretty noticeable, and doesn't seem to have any real ballistic benefit over a milder 38Spl load out of the same gun. I'm sure my ability to get back on target is much better, too.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a pocket pistol I have a nice 1849 Colt baby Dragoon. I had to quit carrying it because all the dogs would come sniff my right pocket due to the bacon grease over the . 31 cal balls.
As for short 38s, I really don't know think it matters much of what is in it as long as it has some weight and the best velocity you can get. The old Treasury load of a 158 Semi Wadcutter hollow point +p seemed to work as good as anything, but none of them are a what I would consider good, but as pointed out, far better than the pistol back at the house!!!
Damn ball sniffing dogs

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And so goes the push towards low cap pistols.
And the cycle renews
1678898442307.gif

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
More people are starting to realize a snub in the pocket is better than a larger pistol with 3 spare mags left at the house.
This is why I like small revolvers. I'm sitting here thinking about swapping over to one of my sp101s, currently have a 19x and two mags stabbing me in multiple places, and I haven't even left the house yet! a snubby j frame is on my short list for sure. I honestly can't believe I don't already have one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom