J-Frames

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jphillipw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Considering buying a cheap J-Frame as a tackle box gun, but more for use as a holster mold (I don't cheap out on carry guns: Colt, Sig, Walther, Kahr). Looks like I can get a blued Taurus for $265, which isn't much more than paying $60+ for a blue training gun. My question for J-Frame aficionados here, is what constitutes a J-Frame? Is it any 2" barrel revolver? Is it only 5-shot cylinders? Are there significant differences between brands? From what I understand, an LCR will not fit a J-Frame holster and vice versa. Is this the same with the new Colt Cobra? Thanks! Any insight is helpful.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
J Frame is specifically associated with Smith and Wesson small frame, 5 shot revolvers. There are noticeable differences between brands. How specific your holster molding is will determine whether or not you can use the same holster for several different revolvers. I have a J frame pancake holster that I use for a charter arms 44 special, so some will interchange.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A J-Frame is actually a small (as in the smallest they make) S&W revolver, like the Model 36, 60, 442, 642, 637, 640 etc. Most J-Frames are 5 shot, but the 617 is an 8-shot .22 built on the "J-Frame" model. J-frames can be had in .22lr, .38, .38+P, and .357 calibers. Barrel length does not define a J-Frame. Some are 1/78", some 3" etc. Technically, Colt, Taurus, Charter Arms, and Rossi are not J-frames. S&W J-Frames are...well, they are J-Frames.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong or have missed something please.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not bragging or patting myself on the back...quite the contrary. I'm actually kinda embarrassed to admit this, but I don't think anybody has owned more Jaybirds than I have. Maybe ldp4570, but yeah, I've bought, sold and traded a gozillion of 'em.

The model 442 Airweight Centennial and model 38 Airweight Bodyguard (NOT to be confused with S&W's "new" Bodyguard) are my two favorites. Of course, I pocket carry too. If I were gonna hip carry, I'd go with a Chief's Special model 36 or perhaps the all stainless model 60.

As much as I hate to admit it, the Ruger LCR is probably a better revolver than the J frame. They are more accurate, the trigger is smoother and the damned thing just feels better in the hand.

Either way, the little 5 shot wheelie is damned hard to beat. There's a reason why the J frame has survived all these years and they still see lots and lots of service.

Latest posts

Top Bottom