J-Frames

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have a J frame Model 60, pro Series from S&W performance center with a 3" barrel. I can tell a pretty decent difference in 38+P rounds and .357s. Maybe it is the extra 1/2" on the barrel, but the .357s launch pretty hot and seems to take a bit longer to reacquire the target in rapid fire. That said, I carry Hornady Critical Defense rounds in .357 and feel confident that I can and will use the gun effectively if required. a quick speedloader belt set and 15 rounds available if needed.

What kind of speedloader set do you use? I usually just drop one or a speed strip in my pocket.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I've never put .357s through my 640, only high pressure .38s. I'm pretty confident with the .38s but there's always this little doubt in the back of my mind that MAYBE I should spring for some .357s and start practicing with those again. I've got a little Smith 637 and I've put thousands of rnds through it, some regular but many +p. Mainly, I switched to the heavier 640 because I'm starting to develop arthritis and shooting the 637 became a painful ordeal. That keeps me from really trying out or practicing the .357. But if my hands can handle it and the difference is worth it in a self-defense scenario, I'll definitely switch.

I'd try a cylinder full or two. But if I couldn't practice much with a round, I wouldn't carry it either.

There's a lot of "practice with .38s but carry .357s" arguments around, and to some extent that's true. You don't have to run full house .357 Mag loads to get trigger practice and draw-fire practice; but if you aren't shooting at least some of the carry rounds to be comfortable with the recoil of them, you are doing yourself a disservice.

Also, use some quality .357 Mag for practice. I remember the difference between cheapo WM .357 and premium Federal HydraShock .357 being quite noticeable. Not as much difference as between .38+P and the .357, but significant.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_0592.JPG
Got my Tyler T grips in the mail today when I got home. Love the feel, love the look on my 640.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What kind of speedloader set do you use? I usually just drop one or a speed strip in my pocket.
I have two of the Bianchi wrap-around leather speedloader holders that hold the speedloader split over the top of the belt. When I don't use these I just drop one or two speedloaders in my pocket. I also use the speedstrips. I was using the 6 shot one's, but now use the 8 shot ones, and carry two, this way I have a total of three reloads with two on hand.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have two of the Bianchi wrap-around leather speedloader holders that hold the speedloader split over the top of the belt. When I don't use these I just drop one or two speedloaders in my pocket. I also use the speedstrips. I was using the 6 shot one's, but now use the 8 shot ones, and carry two, this way I have a total of three reloads with two on hand.
Nice. I wasnt aware of the 8 shot ones

Latest posts

Top Bottom