J&K .38 158gr. LSWC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally got my Lee 4-die set and made up 50 rounds of these. I loaded them over 3.8 grains of Universal. Min/Max for universal is 3.5/4.5 for these bullets according to my Hornady book. Should be a nice shooting medium-light load. If I like it, I'll roll up some more just like it. Hopefully getting out to the gun club this weekend to try these out and I'll report back with the review.

I loaded up 100 more last night.

Now I'll have 50 each of 3.6, 3.8, and 4.0 grains of Universal.

Review to come. Not today, but hopefully Wednesday we can get to the range. My bro is supposed to be visiting and I hope to surprise him with his GP.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I loaded up some 4.2, 4.4, and 4.6 Unique's (my books gave 4.7/4.8 as max). I really liked the 4.2's and 4.4's out of my 6" S&W 686. Fairly mild recoil and good accuracy. Did not like the 4.6's though, my groups spread way out.

I'm fixing to load up some 158 SWC's over some Solo 1000 tonight. Update - just loaded up 50 rounds of 3.1grs of Solo 100 under my 158 LSWCs and another 50 with 3.2grs of Solo 1000. Range report tomorrow out of both my 4" GP100 and my 6" S&W 686.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will await your report.

I haven't ordered dies yet for my GP100s because I had a few hundred .357 rounds on hand.

I'm thinking about ordering a Lee 1000 in .357 or .38, because I'll I've got right now is a single stage for rifle rounds...any thoughts about that?

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got one of them fancy progressive presses but I still do all my rifle and .38/.357 rounds on my single stage. Don't know why, but I just like doing them there. Let me add that I do all my 9mm and .45 ACP on the progressive.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I haven't ordered dies yet for my GP100s because I had a few hundred .357 rounds on hand.

I'm thinking about ordering a Lee 1000 in .357 or .38, because I'll I've got right now is a single stage for rifle rounds...any thoughts about that?
Keep your single stage for the rifles and get a Square Deal B. :twocents:

Edit: That's if you are on a budget. If not spring for a 650.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yeah, the factory crimp die is for the win.

The Lee dies were easy to set up, but I wish they had locking rings so I didn't have to leave them set up on my turret head. I'll probably shoot more .38 and 9mm than anything so the .45 dies had to go back in the box. They have locking rings though so no biggie setting them back up.

Phat Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

might do some reading about the 1000, it's can make you :cry3: with the primer setup! just my 2 cents.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, update on loads... my Ruger GP100 loved the hell out of my .38special 158 gr. LSWC pushed by 3.1 grs of TiteGroup. Less than 1" groups at 10 yards, in the center - very happy with it but rather smokey.

The GP100 on the other hand hated my 3.2grs of Solo 1000. The groups opened up to 3" and high left. Nice soft round but not accurate in the GP.

Using those same loads in the S&W 686 6" was a different story all together... it totally loved the Solo loads putting them all dead center with clover leafed 5 shot groups at 10 yards. Still soft shooting with minimal smoke... will keep using this one.

The TiteGroup loads opened up a tiny bit but still shot 1" groups right down the center. Still smokey as hell though.

All in all, I'm happy with both loads. I just know now that the GP100 will use the TiteGroup loads while my 686 gets the Solo 1000 loads.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
dustin,i run that same load through a S&W model 10.at 60 yards we're ringing an 8 inch iron target almost every time shooting freehand.pretty impressive for a simple load.who's bullet are you using?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to shoot cast bullets check your cylinder throats. Rugers are usually sized for jacketed bullets. Ideally they should be at least .3585" dia. You can get a rough idea by using a jacketed bullet. Push it through the cylinder from the front. If it slips through with no resistance at all you are probably okay. A snug slip fit (any resistance at all) and you should ream them. If they are too small the cylinder will swage the cast lead bullet down to a size thats too small to seal in the barrel and accuracy will suffer. Won't hurt anything but it won't ever shoot cast bullets to it's full potential and leading will always be a problem. The old school rule is that they should be .001" larger than the groove diameter of the barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom