J&K .44 and 9mm bullets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sturgell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't need to worry about expansion with the .44 mag :D

True! A bullet with a good wide meplat will do some damage. Hell Elmer Keith designed the Keith style semi-wadcutter and killed a truck load of critters with his hot loaded 44 spl.

A meplat to be proud of!
ai195.photobucket.com_albums_z288_SturgellatOSU_IMG_2476.jpg

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most leading is caused by poor bore-bullet fit or cylinder-throat-bore fit. I have shot my 310 grain cast bullets that I pour from wheel weights to 1450 out of my 7.5 inch Redhawk, sounds cool until round 3-6 then it starts hurting...A LOT.

I have a Redhawk that sounds identical to yours. When I got it, it hurt to shoot it. It had Pachmayer grips. I decided to get rid of it, but found some original rosewood grips that looked nice, and installed them, sort of on a whim. Then I fired it, and was surprised at how much less it hurt to shoot.

If you have Pachys, consider going back to wood. I agree that anything over 300 grains is noticable unless you are shooting at something dangerous. (Charging hog in my case--305 grain CorBons are not even noticable under that circumstance.)

Sorry for the OT post. I have used some J&K bullets in .44, and they are excellent. CB

Sturgell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Redhawk that sounds identical to yours. When I got it, it hurt to shoot it. It had Pachmayer grips. I decided to get rid of it, but found some original rosewood grips that looked nice, and installed them, sort of on a whim. Then I fired it, and was surprised at how much less it hurt to shoot.

If you have Pachys, consider going back to wood. I agree that anything over 300 grains is noticable unless you are shooting at something dangerous. (Charging hog in my case--305 grain CorBons are not even noticable under that circumstance.)

Sorry for the OT post. I have used some J&K bullets in .44, and they are excellent. CB

When I got it, it did have Pacmayer grips but I swapped them out for some softer Hogue's that tone it down a little.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do J&K's hold up to Titegroup? Are they smokey?
Thinking of loading some 45's but all I have is TG right now. Figured I'd get some regular Clay's next time I cross some.
When will J&K be in Tulsa next?

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thinking of loading some 45's but all I have is TG right now. Figured I'd get some regular Clay's next time I cross some.

Lead bullets are going to smoke no matter what because of the bullet lube thats on them. I can't speak for the new bullets he's putting out now - I picked up a few thousand several months ago - he's using a different lube that's supposed to be less smokey. The smoke doesn't bother me anymore since I shoot lead outdoors and plated indoors. I used to have great results with 9mm 147gr LRNFP's being pushed by 3.2grs of Titegroup. I've since switched over to Solo 1000 from Accurate. Pushing the same bullet with 3.3grs and its a nice soft load that cycles in everything.

Mitch will ship them too you through the USPS. Pisses them off to no end though... something about stuffing 80 lbs into a $5.00 shipping box.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I did quite a bit of R&D (in all reality I just did a lot of shooting) before settling on our new lube. It is without a doubt one of the least smokey lubes on the market.

We won't be in Tulsa again til the Wannemacher show. We can ship 500 bullets for $8 or up to 2k for $13.25.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lead bullets are going to smoke no matter what because of the bullet lube thats on them. I can't speak for the new bullets he's putting out now - I picked up a few thousand several months ago - he's using a different lube that's supposed to be less smokey. The smoke doesn't bother me anymore since I shoot lead outdoors and plated indoors. I used to have great results with 9mm 147gr LRNFP's being pushed by 3.2grs of Titegroup. I've since switched over to Solo 1000 from Accurate. Pushing the same bullet with 3.3grs and its a nice soft load that cycles in everything.

Mitch will ship them too you through the USPS. Pisses them off to no end though... something about stuffing 80 lbs into a $5.00 shipping box.

I have been told that lead bullets are smokey also because the do not seal in the gun when fired so you get more blow by that ads to the lube, etc smoke. seems reasonable as my fmj rounds don't do it.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Smoke is from the lube. Some lubes produce more smoke than others it is not a problem unless your range is indoors. Blow by gases would be detrimental to the bullet and accuracy. I have a feeling that it would also cause severe leading. Bore lapping will help reduce leading a lot.
My Ruger GP will lead a little at around 1300 with the J&K bullets. A little leading is no big deal.

Pat

Latest posts

Top Bottom