jamming AMT automag II

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may belong in the rimfire section, if so I hope the moderators forgive me.
I just traded for an AMT Automag II .22 mag, stainless, w/6" barrel. She looks to be in exelent condition. I have been having feeding problems. The spent round won't eject, or when it does eject the spent round, it fails to load the next live round. Took it completely down, cleaned and oiled, dismantled both mags and stretched the feed springs, changed ammo brand and bullet weights, and the best that I can make it do is 4-5 rounds w/out a misfeed. I don't intend to use it for self defense, so flawless operation is not imperitave, but it is aggrivating as hell.(there are a few armodillos that are sure glad of the feed problems though)
Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Jimbo

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure you use a good lube like Rig +P stainless steel lube.
When you say doesn't eject, you mean stovepipes or doesn't extract from chamber?
What brand ammo are you using?
As I remember they were designed for cci fmj.
and jammed a lot with winchester (the only 2 brands available when they made the gun)

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one, and it works great. I use CCI FMJ. It does not jamb. A few of them had problems, and many did not. I understand that Taurus just came out with one. ldp4570 is correct on the items to check along with the ammo, and mag. If all else fails, I guess I can take it off your hands for a small offer, just to have something to tinker with.

All kidding a side work with the pistol, try different things, polish the ramp etc. When you get it working you will really like it.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Make sure you use a good lube like Rig +P stainless steel lube.
When you say doesn't eject, you mean stovepipes or doesn't extract from chamber?
What brand ammo are you using?
As I remember they were designed for cci fmj.
and jammed a lot with winchester (the only 2 brands available when they made the gun)

It has never stovepiped, it just won't pull the spent round out of the chamber. Haven't tried any fmjs but will pick some up this evening. Always shot jhps, but the only other .22 mag that I own is a bolt gun.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one, and it works great. I use CCI FMJ. It does not jamb. A few of them had problems, and many did not. I understand that Taurus just came out with one. ldp4570 is correct on the items to check along with the ammo, and mag. If all else fails, I guess I can take it off your hands for a small offer, just to have something to tinker with.

All kidding a side work with the pistol, try different things, polish the ramp etc. When you get it working you will really like it.

Sorry Dude, this one is my tinker toy for the time being!LOL
BUT if I can't make her shoot I'll trade her to you for parts to go w/the one you've got!

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do you think that I could do some hand work on the extractor to square it back up, or do you think I'll end taking off too much steel for it to retain its strength?

Just be careful, an take your time, couple of strokes and check, so on and so forth. I would try the FMJ's first, and you may still need to replace your recoil spring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom